Partridge Cochin has a cough/sneeze

chicken tonight

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Please help!
sad.png

My year old partridge Cochin hen has developed a type of cough/sneeze. She’s has it for a few months now. She’s seems perfectly happy, running around eating and drinking. Her eyes are clear and bright, no discharge or blockages around the nose.

I took her to the vet, who said she seems healthy but gave her some antibiotics (Octacillin) just in case it developed into anything serious. Its has now been almost 2 weeks since she’s had the antibiotics and it has had no effect on her cough/sneeze what so ever.

I’m also fairly sure (although not 100%) that she has not started to lay yet. I have witnessed all my other chickens laying at some point but not her. Could this cough/sneeze be having an effect on her laying?

I have 7 hens in total, all of which are free range and laying, none of the other hens seem to have this problem.

I am worried that it might be something serious that the vet has not picked up on, and do not wish to keep on pumping her full of unnecessary medication. I would be grateful if anyone has any idea of what this problem/illness may be, and if so what can I do to help her.

Thank you

Sorry, no ideas!

She could be a coughy sneezy chicken.

Sometimes ammonia build-up in the coop causes this. Have you cleaned out the coop lately?

Good luck. I agree with you about the antibiotics- after the treatment period is over, you may want to take a pass on further antibiotics.

Ok, thanks for that.

I clean the coop out once a week, but could always start doing it twice a week.

I will be passing on medication now until I find out for definite what it is.

Back
Top Bottom