Partridge Cochin X BLU/ BLK Copper Maran

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sylverfly, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    What color will the chicks be from this cross? Just set some of my Maran girls eggs in the bator for a friend and their daddy will either be the Partridge Cochin rooster (Rocky) or my Blue Copper Rooster (Blue). My hens are mostly Blue Coppers 2 are Black Coppers. I'd like to see what rooster is covering what hens (for the most part), I've never actually witnessed my Cochin roo breeding my Marans, I see him on the Cochin hens all the time. He is the top roo but Blue might be covering the Marans since they are the same age.

2. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    ...bumping my own post.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    to the genetics of the cross. the partridge cochin are eb based and the Black/Blue copper marans are based on ER birchen, both are gold.

ER/eb chicks will look just like pure ER/ER chicks. so if you want to go by using the chick color, then no luck here, so all black chicks and blue chicks could be sire by either sire. now the Splash chicks can only be sired by the blue copper maran rooster and the blue copper maran hen..

BUT shank feathering is dominant and unless your marans have shank feathers then thats a the bigest clue as to who is the sire.

4. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    My Marans are feather legged to, I might sound dumb but what is shank feathered? Is that a particular type of leg feathering?

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    shanks are the exposed chicken legs, shank feathering is a multi genetic trait. some breeds like marans only have one gene responsible for their shank feathering but others like cochins have 2 to 3 genes, mostly dominant genes, some are recessive

6. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    so Cochin daddy's chicks should have fuzzier legs/top of toes and the pure marans should have lighter feather fuzz on the legs and hardly any toe top feathering?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by