1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Partridge, Colour

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Nov 26, 2009.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    how does it work ? i plan to breed the colour in to a breed of chickens. the roo looking like a RIR , and the hens are buff with a black tall. if you need to i can post a link to a web site for pics of the brids

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Maybe cross with some partridge rocks? I think partridge is a natural wild-type color. Not sure you can "make" it without an outcross.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Depending on the breed and the part of the world you live in, partridge is either brown (e^b) with penciling (Pg/Pg Co/?) or wildtype (e+). Once again, hobby names do not necessarily match.

4. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:i live in canada. i was thing maybe trying to cross to a Partge rock. but the breed that i want the colour is Hungarin. so i am not sure of the genticts hidding under the hugrain yellow. don't know if this helps , but this website has pic's of the yellow colour, and what i hope to agvie the partge colour.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I don't know if you can get there with the colors you have, since RIR genotype to the Hungarian Yellow - which sounds like a black tailed buff, would be complicated. Then adding in partridge, could be straightening things out would take awhile. Buffs are hard to begin with.

I'd repost this and ask how you get from hens that are black tailed buff to partridge, and if it's possible and what you'd have to look for in progeny.

Some colors don't "give in" to manipulation for quite some time. Some just don't work. Unfortunately the color groups you're working with I am not familiar with. Pictures of your birds will help the gene gurus sort out what you have and narrow down the problem and the possibilities.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Could you be more specific about what you plan on doing. I do not understand what you mean by how does it work.

What chickens do you plan on using? What is your goal?

Is your goal to produce a partridge secondary color pattern on a yellow hungarian primary color ( back ground color)?

If so, I need to see pictures of the hungarian yellow birds.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  7. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Could you be more specific about what you plan on doing. I do not understand what you mean by how does it work.

What chickens do you plan on using? What is your goal?

Is your goal to produce a partridge secondary color pattern on a yellow hungarian primary color ( back ground color)?

If so, I need to see pictures of the hungarian yellow birds.

Tim

i *may* try to reproduce the Partge hugarian. So i was wondering how the Partge colour works, over buff tailed black

sorry i don't have any Pictures of the yellow hungarians that i will be using. but here is a link with both yellow , and partge hungarians http://mgegodollo.hu/WEBSET_DOWNLOADS/526/Standard%20characteristics%20of%20old%20Hungarian%20chicken%20breeds.pdf
    and
    then Feathersite , http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/HYel/BRKHYel.html i belive feathersite is more of the acreite colour

8. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I look at these pictures and am thinking Why you need to create Partrige Hungarins if you can order nice Welsummers.But if you still like to do it-do not use Partrige Rock becouse Partrige Hungarian are actualy BROWN they (like Leghorns,Welsummer and Red Dorking)they do not have Partrige gene(Pg) Rock have.There are 2 ways to start-#1 use Welsummer and Brown Leghorn and work for red earlobes and body tipe or #2 Mix one of these breeds with Hungarin Yelow

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The partridge are wild type or basically a heavy light brown leghorn. So as Ve said, get some welsummer.

The yellow birds carry some kind of a gene or a gene combination that is diluting the red to the yellow color. I am not familiar with any gene that can dilute red to a yellow color..

It is most likely due to a combination of genes that are causing the color. You may be able to get the yellow color by using a new hampshire in combination with the cream gene.

The bird would also need to carry the dark brown gene in combination with the columbian gene. I am not sure if you have a source for the cream gene in Canada. Dark brown restricted birds are a burnt orange color. The down color on the chicks indicates they are wheaten-like the new hampshire.

The down color is a good indication they are wheaten and they undoubtedly carry the gold gene but the genotype causing the yellow color is a guess.

It may also be possible to select for yellow color in new hampshire and get the color. Remember that is just a guess on my part.

If you are an inexperienced breeder, I would suggest working on another less complicated project. Once you have some experience, then tackle the yellow color.

Tim

10. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    ok so i will read this over when i , get home from school.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by