Partridge colouring in breeding...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Godiva, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I am on a roll with trying to understand the different colour chickens I have with an eye to which ones I want to keep for breeding. (assuming type is good of course) THis genetics stuff is fascinating! I have a partridge bantam cochin rooster and hen. I also have some black hens, white, mottled. I was wondering what happens with the colour if you use the partridge roo over these hens? And if I use a black roo over the partridge hen? HOw do the genetics work with the partridge colouring?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    According to this, if you keep the offspring from the partridge roo over the hens and then breed the offspring back to the roo.... or the black roo over the partridge hen and breed the offspring back to the hen... you could get some interesting patterns [​IMG] But... I'm still learning how to use that calculator...LOL

3. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    HOly mackerel Guitartists!! I am brand new at this genetics thing and that website looked so fascinating but I could not make head or tail of it!!! Add to it the German which I don't speak it was like throwing an infant into the ocean and asking it to swim! Whew, but I have made note of it 'cos hopefully it won't be too long before I can use that and know what I am doing!

4. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LMAO yeah, I had problems at first too.... hold on... brb

Ok, use the "Show Examples" option to choose your bird. It would be real tricky if you had something fancy... but most common color forms can be found on that list. Just hold the cursor over the pic for a description... some I don;t recognize... but the others are easy.

Then after you chose your roo and hen.... click the "Calculate Crossings" button and this will display a list of what you will get, how many to breed to get it and what likelihood you have of getting it.

Choose from that list ... "Continue with this....." either hen or roo and calculate again. This will give you a good idea of what you will get and which offspring you should likely keep for your breeding program [​IMG]

You will see that a seemingly "black" chicken can have recessive genes that will make for very interesting outcomes..... so, when it shows 8 black chickens... look at the codes listed. They will have different recessive genes present [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  5. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Hey great stuff! I am going to give that a try when the kids are in bed and I can concentrate! Right now everyone wants dinner LOL which doesn't help me when I am trying to wrap my brain around chicken genetics!

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LMAO Is there really ANYTHING that HELPS one to wrap their minds around chicken genetics? [​IMG] hehehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by