Partridge for Beginner

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by damionlake, Oct 15, 2011.

1. damionlake

damionlake Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    I have been raising chickens and quail for awhile now and I have recently started to build a new coop for some mroe quail and partridge. For now I plan on only raising Chukars and Barbary. Can anyone give me some tips for raising them, like similarities and differences from quail and chickens, coop sizes, breeding ratio... etc..
    Any information is useful to me!

Cheers

Damion

2. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    well chuckars will kill any thing if their crowded so if you have a pair of chckers they should have at least a 6 by 6 area.[​IMG]

3. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    what would you suggest for a pair of hungarian? spacewise as well as furnishings

4. gon4elk

gon4elk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Utah
    IMHO stay away from Hungarian too if your a beginner. Very aggresive towards each other and other birds. If you do want to keep them make sure there's plenty of cover for the birds to hide and get away from each other. They are fun and pretty if you have real estate, but a pain at times.

Steve

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Anyone have space recomendatios? Furnishings?
    [​IMG]

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:the more room the better for chukars University of Cali at berkley has a publication about chukars on the egg laying pen they describe if you halve the number of birds they recommend this is a minimum

7. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

May I suggest Barbary Partridge? They're closely related to Chukars but sweet and mellow- in my experience.

8. damionlake

damionlake Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    We will have Chukar, Barbary and Hungarian. I have 5 Chukars in a 3 by 4 pen and there is no problems so far. Is there any photos of some Partridge pens out there???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by