Partridge or buff silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cwyrick1022, Mar 4, 2017.

1. cwyrick1022

cwyrick1022 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I have four silkies one white and the other three I can't tell what...

Scarlet is the prettiest deep brown with markings. [​IMG]

This is Rose she is an orangish brown.. [​IMG]

This is Kickin wing... [​IMG]

2. ajhunt2

ajhunt2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    Those aren't silkies. Silkies will have black skin and an extra toe.

3. cwyrick1022

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma
    are you sure? I ordered silkies and I would be disappointed if they weren't.

4. cwyrick1022

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I called the company that sold me them under the assumption they were silkies. He told me that they must be a mix breed? He told me I could exchange them for what I was promised. ThAnk you!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I knew they weren't silkies - silkies are puffy as soon as they dry off. I wonder what they are.? At least you can exchange them.

6. ajhunt2

Apr 16, 2014
    Seems kinda funny the company you bought them from didn't know. Why would they sell you mixes when you ordered a specific breed?

7. cwyrick1022

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma
    So I talked to the manager of the store and he said that they are a mixed breed... which was a little irritating and it made me feel completely stupid and embarrassed because I asked if they were silkies and he told me yes. It made me feel very stupid and kind of bamboozled.:) I bought 4 silkies and only one is a legitimate silky, the worst part was when I went to return my 3 mystery chicks they were sold out of chicks. They referred me to their sister store (same name different town) and when I drove all the way there the guy working acted like I was crazy when I asked for silkies... he said that they don't carry silkies and that he's never heard of them... it was the weirdest experience I've ever had? The company is a corporate farming store and it was so confusing. It made me feel so stupid and kind of disappointed.

8. ajhunt2

Apr 16, 2014
    Most of the time those stores don't have someone super knowledgeable about what they have. They just go by what's on the box when they get them in. I'm guessing you just got some from the bantam bin? They do occassionally have silkies in there but if that's what you for sure want you'd be better off looking around and seeing if someone in your area sells them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by