1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Partridge Plymouth Rock Rooster - To a good home

Discussion in 'Chickens 8 Weeks & Older' started by Nambroth, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Gullincambe is my Partridge Plymouth Rock rooster (still technically a cockerel). We bought him as a female chick-- and well, you know how that goes. I know that roosters looking for homes are a dime a dozen, but Gullin is a special fellow and so I hope someone can give him a place to live. It is with a very heavy heart that I am seeking a new home for him at all, as we really do love him a great deal. The only reason we are seeking a new home for him is because he over-breeds my small flock of 6 hens, and their quality of life is going down. I have had saddles on all the girls for some time, and that has been okay, but he is harming their heads as he over-breeds them. I do not have a reasonable way to pen him separately, nor do I think it would be fair to him to pen him by himself. He is otherwise a very good rooster and I think that with a larger flock of hens or even in a bachelor group he would really make someone happy while living out a great life.

About Gullin...

Hatched: May 9th, 2011

Breed: Partridge Plymouth Rock

Quality: Unknown, kept as a pet. Hatchery stock. See photos below.

Personality: I can only tell you what my experiences with Gullin are. As with all animals, when a situation changes sometimes behavior will change, and I cannot promise that he will act exactly this way with you. I will be 100% honest in his behaviors though: With the exception of over-breeding his small flock of girls, Gullin is a great rooster. He is otherwise very gentle of the girls, and does not forcibly breed them; he waits for a willing hen. With people, he is fantastic. He lets me pick him up, and when he sees me outside he will run over to the fence and stick his face out so that I can pet his face and wattles (see video). He has never flogged, kicked, or bitten me or my husband. Sometimes he dances / cuts a wing at us, and we will dance right back at him by shuffling our feet and that ends that! He is not a lap rooster but he is friendly. He lets me hug him and never complains. He is also very protective of his girls against predators, and even though he is still young he has already fought off a stray cat and just this week, he warded off a red-shouldered hawk. He's very alert to predators and has saved my hens more than once (and how I loathe to rehome him for his if nothing else!). He never shoves hens off of food, and in fact will make a great fuss about gently feeding them if he finds a treat. I have spent countless hours with him since a chick, socializing him with people and making sure he ended up a good fellow. And he is-- I just think I have too few hens for him and they are all worn and torn from too much rooster loving, if you catch my meaning. He does crow, and has a clear and pleasant crow. He crows early in the morning, but so far for me he has never crowed at obnoxious hours of the night like some roosters do.
    He does hate big giant hunting boots and red pants and has flared at both in the past. He seems to think that the boots were attacking me. Now I just don't wear red pants or my giant boots to the coop anymore!

Misc: If you have any barred hens, you could use them with Gullin to make black sex link chickens. He is, at this time, fertile. I have kept a closed flock since day 1-- Gullin nor my hens have ever been exposed to other chickens. Gullin was vaccinated against Merek's disease as a day-old chick and came from Meyer Hatchery, was shipped to me and I've had him since. He's never been shown nor even been out of my yard before. I check my birds regularly and to date they are mite and louse-free, and are in good health. I feel Countryside Organics as a main diet. Despite this, I always recommend anyone getting a new bird to quarantine if at all possible, just to be safe.

Location: I live in Western NY, on the PA border, and as such I can deliver Gullin to you or meet you within a reasonable driving distance in Western NY or Northwestern PA. I am a small backyard flock owner, I don't breed my chickens, and as such am NOT NPIP certified-- thus as I understand it I cannot legally ship Gullin to you, I'm sorry!

Please feel free to contact me any time.

The following photos were taken on February 6th, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following photos were all taken within the last three months:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    Hes a gorgeous boy! Great pics!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree! Goreous boy and I LOVE the way he looked and his comb is what I am looking for in a Welsummer roo! Dang!

Which hatchery did he come from?

Anyone that bought this roo is going to be very lucky! He ought to be shown but I am not an expert but if there is a judge in here, I would love to see his comments!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I really feel your pain...I've been there myself with that difficult situation. He sounds like a wonderful roo and is SO pretty. I will be crossing my fingers that someone with a large flock will offer him a good home. [​IMG]

5. Margitas

Margitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Hudson NY
    I intersted the Roo is have exelent body.
    I travel lot from that direction if you can hold for week or two i pick him up.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    He is from Meyer hatchery. I had previously read that their Partridge Rocks came from good stock-- though I will be 100% honest and say that they are a hatchery so it's a roll of the dice! We figured we'd try a hen from them.... We purchased him as a sexed pullet but you know how those things go sometimes!

I wish I could tell you that he's a good quality roo underneath his feathers, but I am no judge and I am still relatively new to chickens, so anything I said would be quite ignorant. He's a looker, that's all I know, and a good fellow (just a little too hormonal for my little flock).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    I live off of I-86 in Southwestern NY state. Is this an area you travel through?

8. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    he's that "devil bird" I was talking to with someone else here. I understand you bought the chicken thinking it'd be a layer and it turned out he's a crower. ;) Wish it wasn't local only.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    got one comment from a judge who saw your pictures. The only thing he saw right off was his narrowness of his tail but in beautiful condition.

Someone will be very lucky to have him!

10. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    That is the most beautiful rooster ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by