Partridge Plymouth Rock

Egghead_Jr

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
I'm interested if anyone here has Breeder Stock Partridge. I'm not interested in hatchery stock and would like to limit postings in this thread to breeding and working towards the Standard of Perfection of this variety.

Years ago I started a thread for Silver Pencilled. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silver-pencilled-plymouth-rock.1199536/ It doesn't get much activity and don't expect this one to see much action either. What that thread did do and will continue to do is bring the few that are attempting to work with the variety in contact with one another. A support group if you will. With these rare varieties we need as much support of one another as we can get. Be it contacts to locate stock, stock with traits our own birds need or advice on how to get to where you are trying to go with your flock.

People looking for good stock also find these threads when attempting to locate birds. Basically there is a need for threads like this beyond my own desire to chronicle a journey of breeding.

If you thought Silver Pencilled Rocks were scarce you may be surprised how few flocks of Partridge are left in the United States. Plenty in Canada but here in the States they're as difficult to locate as hen's teeth. I know of two breeders on the East Coast. Heard of "fella in California that has good stock." and no one else. Reaching out here to see who and what else there is in the States and of course want people world wide with the variety to contribute insights and experience.

I sure wish @BlackHackle was still active. He owned some. :(

His profile says he's gone for a month. Hope he comes back as his flock in Canada is of fine quality and hope he contributes to this on return.

I was gone for over three months myself. Almost didn't return. I get tired of getting slack and blamed for things I don't do. Giving it one more go myself. He'll likely return come breeding this spring.

Last edited:
My stock was obtained at the Northeast Congress in Springfield MA. The K's were sold out by the time I was there and that was as the doors opened to the public. I've two 11 month old pullets to start a flock with and gained another contact for this variety in Massachusetts.

Anyone familiar with this variety or long time breeders will know the name Norman Ennis. He had very fine stock but had to get rid of them around turn of this century when starting up meat birds for Tyson. Four years ago Tyson said his large barn needed repair and Norman said it didn't so he got out of the meat bird industry and thought he's start up 'fancy birds" again. Of all the places he'd put, sold his old stock he only found one left in Virgina. In a sad state of maintenance over the years. Twisted wing, white in ears, black legs, squirrel tail, two points on a cockerel. He took back this stock and has worked it for three years now. He showed this January at the Poultry Congress in Springfield for the first time in nearly two decades. My two pullets are from this stock. It's a start.

Partridge Resized-2.JPG

If Norman hadn't gotten back into "Fancy Birds" (his vernacular) Matty Martin from Mass. would have been in trouble with his stock. He was down to just the breeders and a fox got in killing all the hens/pullets. Though Norman didn't want to give out birds in the state they were still in last year he got some pullets to Matty so he could continue breeding. If Tyson didn't tell Norman to repair the barn there would be no breeder flocks on the East Coast left that I'm aware of. To say this variety is in jeopardy in the US is not an understatement. Very likely it's numbers should be classified as in Critical condition. I doubt there is 10 breeding flocks in the US but this thread will shed light on that.

Last edited:
I've a lot of chores today but will procrastinate for one more post.

The question many will have reading this is "how will you make a flock with two pullets?"

I'll be using a Silver pencilled K that can't be used in my Silver breeding due to some DQ's. Other than those, one of which is brassiness that won't matter going into Partridge, he has many great attributes. Long back being one, good type other than low tail, and he's going to reach 10 lbs this spring when aging to Cock.

No idea what is hiding under the Partridge gold. Resulting silver pullets my be able to be of service in the Silver line. That needs the great tails and size of these Partridge. But the resulting yellow K's of the cross will be culled down to the father of Partridge flock. If the F1 K's look awful this summer I'll get a K from Mass or even a pair to move forward. If the F1 K's look good the sire of Partridge line will cover the better Dam resulting in half all offspring Partridge. Those F1BCD birds will be my flock growing out for evaluation and culling fall 2020. F1BCD birds will be bred spring of 2021. If of good quality I'll be selling eggs then.

Back
Top Bottom