Partridge Rock - Looking for breed info

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Toddrick, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm having a hard time finding the history of this breed. I always thought they were just a strain of BR that had this color pattern, and therefore carried 90% of BR traits. Then I read they are a heritage breed (not sure if true), and that they were more closely related to the Wyandotte. I just wanted to study the breed because I have a new chick and I always do as much research as I can because I enjoy learning.

Guess which one she is? The dark brown fur ball!

[​IMG]

The lighter one is a Buckeye. I found PLENTY of history on the Buckeye. :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Partridge Rocks AND Wyandottes. My understanding, FWIW, is that the partridges are a variant on the Barred Rock but a little rarer. I got mine from the feed store...all of them were chipmunks as chicks so it took a while for feathering to tell them apart. The Partridge Rocks have very pretty brown and black penciling on their feathers....(there are one of each in my avatar pic...)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. Toddrick

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    They are gorgeous. Easily the prettiest chick I've seen, even before the coloration of the feathers. The chocolate brown fuzz and caramel beak look better than even the cute yellow chicks. There is just no information about them online. I'm starting to think they aren't even an official breed, since I can't find a SOP for them.

How is the temperament on yours? Are they flighty like a Wyandotte? Good layers like a BR?

4. mobius

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There they are as babies yep very cute. The PRs are a tiny bit more flighty than the Dottes, and one of them is very yack-yack. The spokes-chicken for the flock. All are actually quite friendly if not molting. They actually seem to share top of pecking order...one Dotte and one PR. The PRs are slightly bigger. I think the PRs are a little bit better layers...they love to come in the house and would all be inside regularly if I let them...I do let them in one at a time for health checks...very docile flock I think...no aggressiveness that I see...

Kinda wondering if yours is chocolate brown all over if it really IS a Partridge Rock.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. mobius

6. Toddrick

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm pretty sure mine is a PR. It It looks exactly like the ones in the pics below that I find when I google the name. Maybe yours are just a different strain? I had to google a bit harder to find pics of PR chicks with stripes. See, this is exactly why there needs to be more published information on the breed!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mobius

Cute cute cute and yes, more information needed on this often overlooked, unknown and adorable chicken!

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Following, I too want a PR eventually and more info. :)

9. Toddrick

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Anybody else have a link or anything?

10. Toddrick

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by