1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Partridge Rock over Leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by McCaskill, Mar 2, 2014.

1. McCaskill

McCaskill Chillin' With My Peeps

can any of you tell me what a partridge rock roo over a leghorn hen would look like and what there eggs would be like

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A white leghorn? Mostly white birds with dark flecks, straight combs and yellow legs. Light brown eggs, plenty of them
    A brown leghorn? Probably something similar to either parent. Eggs the same.

2 people like this.
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I probably shouldn't even venture to guess as my genetics is pretty rudimentary...I think if you have the right genotypes...you COULD get sex-links (gold based roo over silver based female)....but I THINK a dominant white is in White Leghorns....so it doesn't work. You would get just mostly white with varying brown leak through on both sexes.

As to egg color, I THINK I remember brown is dominant depending upon the genotypes...so I would think you would get mostly a shade of brown for eggs.

I will watch and see what those more experienced say as I am trying to get my head wrapped around the genetics of such things too.

There is a good genetic article for breeding linked below. It mentions White Leghorns shouldn't be used if you are trying to make sex-links as the White genotypes in the Leghorns is dominant (?) if I have that right.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

No matter...a Rock/Leghorn would be a great egg layer, but not likely sex-linked.

Lady of McCamley

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes...what Donrae said!
    Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by