Partridge Rock Owners - - - Please Respond

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by math ace, Aug 25, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    In May, I ordered pullets from a hatchery. Two Speckled sussex and 2 partridge rocks.

One of the speckled sussex pullets is starting to crow [​IMG] [​IMG].
    OK, so they goofed. I am noticing that BOTH my partridge rock pullets appear to have pointy hackle feathers.
    Did I get done TOTALLY WRONG or do Partridge rock three month old pullets have pointy hackle feathers compared to other breeds' hackle feathers ? ? ?

I will SCREAM [​IMG] [​IMG] if I got only 1 girl out of 4 pullets ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We need pics.

If all of the feathers on the PRs are uniform in color, you have pullets, if not cockadoodle-roo!

3. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks, I will try to get some pics today !

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    The roos by now should look way different than the pullets pictures please

5. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here are the pics. There is very little difference between the two chicks. They are 3 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is all I could get. They are quick little ones. They are inseparable - - -so, I can not tell them apart.

What do you think cockerel or pullet ? ? I see the pointy hackles and on other breeds, that would mean cockerel in a heartbeat - - - what about these ?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They're pullets.

7. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    pullets roos look like this

[​IMG]

8. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you everyone - - - That is one pretty roo. Surely, he is older than 3 months. Does anybody have a picture of partridge rock roo at around 3 months of age ? ? ? I would like to see what the roo looks like at the same age - please post your pics.

At what age do the color differences start showing up ??

Thanks for any knowledge you could share. It seems really hard to find infor on partridge rocks [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ace those look like pullets bigtime!! are you sure one of the girls wasnt mocking a crow? I have a few dingbats that do it! and I have a sweetheart boy that sings the egg song better than some of his girls!!!

10. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    sonew123, nice to hear from ya. It was one of the speckled sussex chicks that I got with these PR that I heard and Saw crowing.

Hey, I posted some pics of some my marans last night ( I think around page 116 on the marans thread). From watching that thread, I will be getting rid of my blue copper marans this fall for mossiness. I'm am gonna wait until these girls start laying before I get rid of my blue copper marans.

I will be keeping my one French Black copper marans hen ( Tiramasu) and my FBCM roo (Tsunami). These two will be the foundation of my breeding stock until I find another resource for some more chicks . . . . Take a look at the pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by