Partridge rock-----Pullet? or are my roos being gay?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by keatonskeets, Jun 17, 2010.

1. keatonskeets

keatonskeets In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a partridge rock, the gender of which I am not sure. The feathering, shape, and vent size make me think it is a cockerel. But the comb size, spur size, and the fact that my roo is trying to get frisky with him/her, makes me think it's a lady chicken.

I am definately noticing saddle and sickle feathers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the comb look soooo small when compared to this Phoenix Cockerel of the SAME AGE.
    [​IMG]

They are both 4 months old-----The Phoenix is crowing, mating, and strutting his stuff, but the rock is silent, has not much to show, and is GETTING MATED.

If the rock is a cock, than these two breeds must mature at completely different times. I have always used the phoenix to base the gender of the rock off of. I guess I gotta look more into the feathering....

What do y'all think? [​IMG]

2. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Songster

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Looks like a slow maturing roo. The other roo is more likely just showing his dominance by mounting, not actually mating.

3. keatonskeets

keatonskeets In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Yes, I don't think that the Phoenix is even getting close to mating. He'll try to jump a hen, and the hen just turns around and kicks the shfeathers out of him.

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Songster

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    ok,the title made me LOL!

yup, that is a roo. he is very pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by