Partridge rock-----Pullet? or are my roos being gay?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by keatonskeets, Jun 17, 2010.

1. keatonskeets

keatonskeets Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a partridge rock, the gender of which I am not sure. The feathering, shape, and vent size make me think it is a cockerel. But the comb size, spur size, and the fact that my roo is trying to get frisky with him/her, makes me think it's a lady chicken.

I am definately noticing saddle and sickle feathers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the comb look soooo small when compared to this Phoenix Cockerel of the SAME AGE.
    [​IMG]

They are both 4 months old-----The Phoenix is crowing, mating, and strutting his stuff, but the rock is silent, has not much to show, and is GETTING MATED.

If the rock is a cock, than these two breeds must mature at completely different times. I have always used the phoenix to base the gender of the rock off of. I guess I gotta look more into the feathering....

What do y'all think? [​IMG]

2. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Looks like a slow maturing roo. The other roo is more likely just showing his dominance by mounting, not actually mating.

3. keatonskeets

keatonskeets Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Yes, I don't think that the Phoenix is even getting close to mating. He'll try to jump a hen, and the hen just turns around and kicks the shfeathers out of him.

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    ok,the title made me LOL!

yup, that is a roo. he is very pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by