Partridge Rock that I'm showing this weekend, Is she worth taking?

silkieluver_07

Songster
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
She's in pretty good feather condition, so I thought why not enter her? I don't see many partridge rocks so hopefully there will be other PR's to compare her to at the show. Just wondering if she is a good/bad example of a partridge rock. Critique is welcome!

6136_006.jpg

6136_007.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, that is one good sign!
smile.png
I just compared her to the pics on feathersite and she definitelyis hatchery/production quality. I'm debating whether to take her now or not.

I guess it depends on if you have time/space. If all your good guys are ready then why not?
If it isnt too much of a bother than it would be interesting to see her compared to nicer birds both for you or people visiting the show.
You might get to talk to some PR breeders .
If you are tight on time, car space, and travel pens well, you have put much time into the ones you know will do well, so just focus on them.
and take pics!!! (0:

She's got nice feathering for a hatchery bird, but she's incomplete pattern gened so she'd likely not place well. Decent shape as well, I've seen many much narrower. She'll make a great layer and some of mine even made great mothers/broodies so you never know. I recently lost my favorite PR hen. They can be some awesome good birds. I'll eventually hatch more of better quality, I love the breed and the variety.

Sorry but she is neither a Standard Bred Plymouth Rock nor is she partridge in color.

Look at this picture-

http://www.crohio.com/rockclub/images/RNR White Rock LF 2007.jpg

Is your bird that shape? What breeders call "type" (conformation) makes the breed and to be considered a standard bred chicken the specimin must conform to the Standard.

In all fairness what you have is not even what is offered by some hatcheries. Look at this-

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/partridge_rocks.html

Again the shape is not the same. And the color is not right. Your bid has stippled body feathers (with black tips), a partridge female has penciled feathers.

I understand the need for "utility grade" birds but most hatcheries misrepresent their offering. "Prize winners" - only at a small poultry show at a fair.

I would not expend anything to show that bird. The judge will probably not even take it out of the cage.

Well Silkieluvr's hen has good feather but almost more oprington or barnvelder in type, I cant see the color that well on her. Birchrun's hen has better patterning and better type I'd say. If only you could combine both of them, LOL.

Silkie Luver: Well, her eye color is wrong, body shape is off and so is tail set. Pattern is not correct either. If it is not a APA show you might do OK if the judges are not too picky. But I would not take the chance of bringing home a sickness to show her. She looks very healthy and typical of some hatchery stock.

Birch Run :She looks good but her eye is hard to tell. Body shape is real nice and she has a OK tail set. I would perfer to see clean yellow legs but over all she is a good start for breeding. I have a few like her that I am holding back myself for future breedings with new roos.

For those that really are interested in the Plymouth Rock family. You can download the standard on all varities from the Plymouth Rock club web site. It is an old standard but has not change much over they years. FYI eye are suppose to be red, legs bright yellow, correct tail set is 40 degrees for hens, color should be brown for hens with neck a bayish red, not orange or yellow.

Alot of stock be it hatchery or from breeder will not match SOP. It is hard to breed it and get it consistanate. There are very few breeders to be found and most are works in progress. This color variation fell out of favor it seems and was passed over by the top breeders in favor of Barreds, White and Buffs. Even though Buff is rare color too.

Disclaimer: This is just my opionion and should not be taken a hard rule. Camera can always show off to each computer. Both chickens are in good health and will make great layers.

Back
Top Bottom