Partridge Rocks? PICS of my pullet added

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Birch Run Farm, May 16, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    How come this type of rock isn't very popular? I have one pullet, she's probably utility/hatchery grade. She was a freebe chick which I was told to be an EE and clearly isn't. She is gorgeous and a good layer. The partridge color is really lovely.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Where's your picture of this lovely bird?

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  3. lone cedar farm

lone cedar farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Menlo, Ga.
    I have a PR roo and did have five PR hens untill two stray dogs killed them. You're right they are one of the most beautiful breed there is and lay good also.

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Unfortunatly when people think of Rocks they think only of the Barred or White plymouth rocks. The other colors are very rare as there are very few breeders of them anymore. Even though the hatchiers sell them they are all production type birds and need to be bred up to meet the SOP. Some of us are getting started in them and are trying to breed the up again to heritage standards.

The good thing is like the Barred and Whites all the other colors have a simular personality which is very friendly and good producers. One just need to be carefull of what hatchery one buys from for I know MM has a line that is aggressive and ideals are a bit far off the mark when it comes to the SOP having white in them. Many of the other hatcheries seem to have better quality production birds. White in this color is a major fault so should be breed out.

Another good thing for those wishing to work with the rare colors of the Plymouth Rocks you can download the standard that dates from 1917. That way you can match the older heritage type of Plymouth Rocks. It has changed a bit since then but not too much.

I personally picked the partridge color because I plan on free ranging my birds. I wanted a single comb because of the hotter summer where I live. My next color to work with will be the Buff rocks as I hear they are really something to see when breed right. But they are even more rare than the Partridge it seems some times. It is too bad more people do not get into breeding the other colors more for they are great chickens to work with and as you say produce well.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I agree that the partridge rock is a pretty bird and I really like the looks of the Columbian Rocks. Never cared much for the looks of barred rocks though.

6. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    I have one PR hen and she is one of my favs...very pretty girl...she is currently sitting on three goose eggs...I would like to see the expression on her face when they hatch and be a fly on the wall when she tries to 'splain them to roo Walter...

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have 8 Partridge Rock hens.
    Three are broody right now. [​IMG]
    I don't care for the egg color and when broody they are not easy to move to another location. I have a broody hen house and my Cochins, Silkies and Jersey Giants are moveable but those Partridge Rocks refuse to stay put. My Barred Rocks have not gone broody at all.[​IMG]
    We have several really sweet Partridge Rocks and they are great pets but still not my favorite bird. Once these are gone, I won't get any more.

8. peachdawg78

peachdawg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Pensacola, Florida
    I myself have been trying to find some quality heritage/show quality Partridge Rocks and have had little luck. I have eggs incubating from 3 different sources, one of which is a nationally know exhibitor. I hope that from these 3 batches I can get a good start. I plan to cull ruthlessly and maybe have a respectable breeding program in the next year. I am also probably going to get some blue rock eggs later this year and try to keep that variety going. I would be happy to try and see some pics of quality partridges and possibly swap with others seeking the same goals.

9. egggreenthumb

egggreenthumb Out Of The Brooder

Please, post a picture of a Partridge Rock Hen. I never see one.
    Thanks.

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have a young Trio. I will offer eggs once they are laying.
    Any of the "Rocks" generally lay well. I love my Barreds but the Partridge color is very nice.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by