Partridge silkie gender id

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jakuehler, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jakuehler

jakuehler New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anybody please help identify these three chicks. They are roughly 4 months old

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Picture 1 ????

Picture 2 - cockerel.

Picture 3 - cockerel, cockerel, pullet.

All that being said, don't get rid of any until they crow - silkies can be tough.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree looks like 2 rooster 1 pullet.

Like others said just incase dont rehome until they either crow or lay and egg. Silkies are tricky to sex.

6. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    X3.

normally the roosters will have a big walnut comb....looks like yours do. here is my hen and rooster:

[​IMG]

normally roosters will stand taller than the hens, the hens staying low to the ground.

hope this helps!
    ~Bantmanury

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X4

8. jakuehler

jakuehler New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    Thank you very much, I appreciate it. First silkies I've ever had. I had the same thoughts, I was just hoping I was wrong, heard the first crow from the lighter one today. Honestly I don't know what to do with the Roos, my wife doesn't want them around to make noise but I can't stand to leave the hen alone with my full grown RIRs and barred rocks. Will they accept her into the flock or will she be a outcast?

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    You could do a little experiment. take the two roosters away and put them in your garage, shed, or something for a few hours. And put the hen in with you others. There is going to be a few little scuffles here and there, but they have to establish a pecking oder. As long as you doing see them beating her up really bad, I would that she will be fun. If not I would look on craigslist for another silkie hen or maybe even a cochin or brahma, as they are very gentle also. and hope to find her a buddy. In all honesty most not all, but most silkies are not frequent crowers.

10. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    normally if you have two roos and one hen it can be dangerous for the hen. she can be over mated by the two, which would not end up well. I have a mall flock of five and my rooster is the lowest in the pecking order. my silkie hen is the second lowest. they sort of stay low within the flock, and know not to bother the others. I think your hen without your roos should be fine.....I would jeep one roo with the hen though. pick your favorite roo to keep. the two could mate and you could get more babies to go with them so they are not the only silkies.

I think also just having the hen in the flock they wouldn't think she is an outcast. I have two mixes of two different breeds, a jap bantam roo (with no hen) and two silkies. my silkies are the only le breeds of my flock. all birds interact well within, all being from a different breed.

[​IMG] if you can see, my silkies are behind the other white roo in my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by