Partridge Silkie M or F ??????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allmypeeps, Jun 19, 2009.

1. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Okay, this is Monkie. S/HE is about 9+/- weeks old....

wondering if anyone can give a hint as to how to tell gender because I hear varying views, some say waddles mean male, while other say it doesnt matter either way depending on how fast the individual bird is maturing....so....just out of curiousity---what is majority vote?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    With taht much comb that young, I would be thinking along male lines--not absolutely confirmed--but thinking hard.

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I think you got a male

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That's a roo. Mine are like 3-4 months and have NOTHING like that developing on them. I'm still getting used to the walnut comb thing......... [​IMG]

5. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Ok, I asked Arnold Swartzaneggar what his expertise opinion was reguarding the size of comb and he said: "it's just a toomah" LOL [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So is it true you really can't tell until they are 6 mo. ? It seems if Texas says that her 3-4 mo olds don't even have combs that big then all arrows would be pointing to MALE?
    Ok, so the girl I have been hoping for is most likely a BOY. Darn! well, I hope he crows quiet or he will be living inside with daipers on because I am in the CITY! and am lucky I can have chickens at all!

[​IMG]

e

6. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Songster

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    allmypeeps wrote: So is it true you really can't tell until they are 6 mo. ?

I can tell at around 1 1/2 to 2 months so you CAN tell before 6 months​

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Mine are about the same age, and they have nothing like that! The area where their combs are are still pretty flat and black. One is raised a little, but still black. I was wondering about it, but after seeing yours, I am afraid you have a really pretty little roo.

I've heard the silkies are pretty quiet for roos. [​IMG]

Shelly

8. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:I can tell at around 1 1/2 to 2 months so you CAN tell before 6 months

so.....you vote roo also?

Here he is next to my 5 week old light brahma pullet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know where that comb sprouted from, these are pics taken on 6/7 thats only like 12 days ago!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  9. c_soto1990

c_soto1990 Songster

May 17, 2009
    Chicago,Il
    thats a boy for sure, cant wait till my partridge grows! Even though he's young I just know he's a boy.

10. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I vote for roo. Sorry!

I have a white silkie roo and my husband says he crows at him every am. But it is kinda quiet - well compared to our RIR Roos!!! LOL! I am home all day and I have not heard him crow. (Granted, I am sound asleep when my husband leaves in the am!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: