Partridge Silkie or not..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GBandB, Jan 2, 2014.

1. GBandB

GBandB New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    [​IMG]This Silkie came from partridge silkies....reputable breeder....and has attracted attention from partridge breeders (they want her eggs).......TODAY, someone told me she is not partridge!!! Is this true? And, if it is true, then what the heck color is she? It's hard to see, but there is the brown/red/gold coloring throughout her feathering, it just isn't the dominant color....obviously!! Feed back from anyone who is in the know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    she is a princess with a golden necklace. beautiful !

3. GBandB

GBandB New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Thank you! Actually, one of her pen-mates is "Princess".....this one is just "Pretty Girl"!!

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    lol, she is more then that. i have two with cross beak i named them twist and twisted sister.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    She does not look to be partridge. Partridge should have significantly more colour throughout. I see no evidence of penciling on her, although I will take your word that there is more colour than can be seen. Look at partridge wyandottes and plymouth rocks on feathersite, and that will show you what partridge colouring and patterning should look like. You cannot see the detail on silkied feathers, but the evidence of penciling, if not the sharply defined detail of it should be present.

Her type looks good, and she could be used in partridge breeding to add type when proper pattern is present, but type is lacking.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by