Partridge Silkies - do the colors breed true?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by racuda, May 18, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have seen many examples of Partridge Silkies where the females look almost buff and the males have no black or much color. My question is if someone started with a nice pair that met the standard for color would they throw mostly properly colored chicks, or would they produce the washed out birds, with the chance for a few good ones?

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    They should produce some nice chicks I would think. I wouldn't breed two washed out ones together. I would go for a washed out x too dark and see what you get as well. I have that problem as well plus with the blue partridge you have to deal with more brassy appearance vs the mahogany appearance desired.

3. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    No matter what color you are working with, some offspring of even the best pair will be quality and some will not. You raise a bunch and keep the best. I have silver laced wyandottes as well as silkies- although they have been silver laced on silver laced for a very long time, and all offspring are silver laced, the quality of the lacing varies. Some have better color and lacing than others.

Patterns are more difficult to work with than solids.

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:Agreed! I have admired Partridge and Blue Partridge Silkies for a long time and no one told me how hard the color actually was! Any pattern is hard. The more rare the harder it is! Believe me I feel like I'm in quick sand with my Brown Red Ameraucana bantams!

5. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    However,... someone has got to do it! Would be a shame to lose the variety.

6. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    Here's pics of my Partridge Silkies I got at a swap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by