Partridge Silkies: Quest for the black breasted cockerel/cock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ultasol, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    So the partridge color is one that more than one judge has told me "should never have been accepted in a silkie feathered bird" because it is patterned, it is hard to tell if the color is right on a silkie feathered bird, and because "I haven't seen a correct one yet." If you look at the standard for the color partridge

"APA Partridge Color Standard

Color of Male
    HEAD: Surface of feather, brilliant shade of rich red.
    NECK: Hackle - surface of feather, lustrous, greenish black with narrow edging around entire surface of rich brilliant red; shaft, black: to match saddle. Front of neck - black.
    BACK: Surface of feather, lustrous greenish black with narrow edging around entire surface of a medium shade of rich brilliant red, a slight shafting of rich red is permissible. The surface of upper back should appear to be rich glossy red when viewed from a distance too great to distinguish the individual feathers.
    SADDLE: Surface of feather, lustrous greenish black with narrow edging around the entire surface of rich brilliant red, shaft black; to match hackle in color.
    TAIL: Main tail - black, shafts black. Sickles and lesser sickles - lustrous black. Coverts - lustrous greenish black, with narrow edging around the entire surface of rich brilliant red.
    WINGS: Shoulders and fronts - black. Bows - medium shade of brilliant red. Coverts - lustrous greenish black, forming a well defined bar when wing is folded. Primaries exposed portion of outer web forming wing bay, reddish bay; shafts, black.
    BREAST: Lustrous black with greenish sheen.
    BODY & STERN: Body - black. Stern - fluff, black, slightly tinged red.
    LOWER THIGHS: Black.

Color of Female
    PLUMAGE: Penciling in the partridge female should be of uniform width and conform to the shape of the feather. Each feather of the back, breast, body, wing bows and thighs should have three pencilings; the center black, then alternately reddish bay and black, ending with reddish bay edging around entire surface. More attention should be given to the brightness and sharpness of the reddish bay ground color and the almost jet black penciling than whether the bird appears lighter or darker than an individual preference. The ideal is one uniform color over the entire body of the bird.
    HEAD: Deep reddish bay.
    NECK: Hackle - surface of feather, center portion black; slightly penciled with deep reddish bay, with narrow edging around the entire surface of deep reddish bay. Front of neck - same as breast.
    BACK & CUSHION: Deep reddish bay with distinct pencilings of black.
    TAIL: Main tail - black, except two top feathers, which are deep reddish bay on the upper web, penciled with black, shafts black. Coverts - deep reddish bay, with distinct penciling of black.
    WINGS: Shoulders, fronts, bows, and coverts - deep reddish bay, with distinct pencilings of black. Primaries - black with edging of deep reddish bay on outer webs, shafts black. Secondaries - inner webs black; outer webs deep reddish bay, with distinct penciling of black extending around outer edge of feather, shafts black.
    BREAST: Deep reddish bay with distinct pencilings of black.
    BODY & STERN: Body - deep reddish bay penciled with black. Stern - fluff, deep reddish bay.
    LOWER THIGHS: Deep reddish bay, penciled with black.

UNDERCOLOR: Slate in all directions.

DISQUALIFICATIONS: None listed.

DEFECTS: Purple sheen in males. Unevenness of ground color in females. Dullness, mealiness, and smokiness in ground color of females. White in undercolor. Red on partridge males is not to be so dark as to give the impression that the bird is black. No male is to be awarded a first premium if ten percent or more of his breast feathers are other than black."

I have a male that is pretty close EXCEPT (and this is a big except) his breast is not black. Anyone have some black breasted males? Looking at the standard, what color flaws do your partridge cockerels/cocks have?

2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Here is pic of one I raised and I now have in my breeding pen. He was young in the pic, I need to get an update pic of him.

[​IMG]

3. ultasol

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Do you have a side picture that shows his tail and wings? Nice black breast!! I'm envious of that.

4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    This is a older pic taken early spring. He has fill out a bit more now.

[​IMG]

Quote:Do you have a pic of him you could post ? I would like to see him.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  5. ultasol

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I don't have one, as I was given him by my mentor who was getting out of partridge. At the time, he was in full moult (this was last Spring) and I just haven't snapped shots since.

Perhaps this weekend.

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I wish I would have gotten a nice partdge boy out of this years breedings but for once I got all pullets [​IMG]

Here is my partridge boy that passed away:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rachelle needs a boyfriend! I am on the lookout for a nice partridge cock/cockerel

[​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:WOW! Gorgeous! Love that black breast!

I'll have to try to eliminate some of my photos so I can upload a photo of CocoPuff; colourwise he is pretty good. I also have a youngster who is looking good. That said, many of the partridges I see are much too red. Right now my partridges in particular are desparately in need of a molt or I would try for photos of the girls. I have several very nicely coloured ones.

I agree that one cannot tell that the pattern is correct, but I'm not sure that with silkie feathering having a specifically correct penciling is as necessary as is having well patterned feathers.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    I got a really good looking partridge boy also: I have to also get a recent pic of him. He was molting in this pic.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by