Partridge

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quail1994, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Quail1994

Quail1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Will a jumbo coturnix and a small partridge mate?

I wonder?[​IMG]

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

I doubt it.

3. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    they may "mate", like others say a male coturnix roo will try and "mate" with anything... a female coturnix, a feeder, a hand holding the feeder, a water bottle... you get the picture.

in your experiment, I am not sure- will the sperm make it to the egg? will it be capable of fertilization? will the genes/alleles match up properly? will it make it through all stages of incubation and embryonic development? will it hatch, thrive, be fertile or sterile? I am not sure of those exact answers to an exact % or if there have been sustained experiments in large numbers.

I have read where they have experimented with AI on Quail, Chicken, Pheasant, etc. but none of those seem to make it to adulthood.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:i had a male guinea and a rooster fall in love (don't ask)... they tried mating each other... just cause body parts may not be compatible doesn't mean they won't try!..

my two boys were inseparable.. they would call to each other when they would find a tasty bug.. or when it was feeding time.. they would also sleep cuddled up to each other (so.. no it wasn't a dominance issue).. sadly one day a fox decided she knew of a way to separate them... she said the guinea was delicious... the rooster mourned for weeks

5. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    [​IMG]

6. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't know, but it's worth a try..... Right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by