1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Party like it's not three degrees above zero

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Nov 12, 2014.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    So today my eighteen hens were moping around the run, most standing on one leg, in sour moods, annoyed it was almost zero F all day long here in the southern Rockies. They ate some of their fermented feed, and ignored it after that, even though I rigged up a warmer to keep it from freezing. (I try.)

I thought to myself, this won't do. They should be moving around and staying warm. I went and gathered up the Gatoraid bottles with quarter-inch holes drilled in them, filled them with scratch grain and BOSS, and tossed them into the run.

Instant action! Eighteen hens came to life! Bottles rolling around by chilled chicken feet, and seeds spilled and snatched up by everyone around the bottle. I had five bottles going for the eighteen hens, and everyone got a turn at it.

Par-tee!

If you ever have bored, sullen chickens on your hands, this is what you need to do to cure it.

[​IMG]

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    [​IMG] What a great idea! Lovely flock! I am a bit jealous of those Jubillees though!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What jubilees?

4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Are those not Jubilee Orpingtons?
    I guess they might be Speckled Sussex, but they look quite fluffy and round in the pic, I can't see leg color!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, they're Speckled Sussex with white legs. They're an interesting troop of four hens, and they tend to boss the flock around. They look round because they eat like pigs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by