Party Snacks to Make (Two Recipes)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by speckledhen, Dec 20, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

These were both my mother's recipes. She passed on in 1999, so can't ask her to clarify the flour issue on the first one, but I remember they were both awesome and this being the party season, thought I'd pass them on.

Cheese Straws
    1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese, sharp
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    2 1/2 c. flour (doesn't say whether all-purpose or self rising, though--they weren't puffy, almost like shortbread)
    1/2 lb. butter
    1 tsp. salt

Cream butter and cheese, add salt, pepper and flour. Roll thin. Cut into desired shapes
    Bake on greased cookie sheet at 425* for 8-10 minutes.

Spiced Sugared Pecans

2 1/2 c. pecan halves
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. water
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp. vanilla

Place pecans in shallow pan. Heat in 375* oven about 15 minutes. Remove from oven
    Cook together sugar, water, cinnamon and salt to soft ball stage (about 240*). Remove from heat, add vanilla and nuts. Stir gently until nuts are well-coated and mixture becomes creamy. Turn out onto greased pan. Separate halves as they cool.

I bet you could make these pecans sweet/spicy by adding some cayenne pepper to the recipe.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Oh YUM!

3. big momma

big momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    i dont that you would call this a snack or a finger food

get two cans of cresant rolls from the biscuit section at the store and one pack of little smokies and cut up your cresant rolls just big enough to wrap around the little smokies and bake till rolls are browned ...we love these:drool

4. speckledhen

I sure remember those! Yummo!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I love anything with cheese! [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I threw in a load of the cheesy things a little bit ago... they're puffing up in the oven (bread flour was the first thing I grabbed) I only made half a batch, the butter made me step back a little! [​IMG]

I also just squished it together wiht my hands, the mixture was crumbly, so I have these torpedo things in the oven cooking for the kids snack! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Hope they come out yummy, Cheryl!

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Oh, yum, Cyn, made me remember the spiced nuts I had forgotten to make for the holiday!! Won't be any left if dh see them He will love your cheese straws, too.

9. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    Spiced Sugared Pecans! [​IMG]

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:They were! The kids almost got em all... hubby and I got a few to taste.

I'm thinking I'll try make little balls and squash flat and bake. (yeah making more soon, they were super easy to make!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by