Parvo-Like Symptoms - Anyone know more about this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lianaharlan, Aug 20, 2013.

1. lianaharlan

lianaharlan New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    Los Osos, Calif.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I noticed yesterday that two of my chickens were lethargic and not excited to eat their scratch (very unusual). One also had diarrhea. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I took both into the vet yesterday afternoon and sadly, the one with diarrhea (Jade) passed away this morning. The other one is still at the vet on antibiotics and seems to be more alert, but still not eating very well.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The vet said Jade's intestinal tract was sloughing off and that there was some kind of infection similar to what we see in Parvo that affects dogs. Has anyone heard of this? I'm going to see about getting more specific information from the vet this afternoon and I'll post more then.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jade was just over a year old and seemed healthy. Dharma (the one still at the vet) is the same age.
    My husband did notice that both birds were not their usual selves on Sunday. I wish I would have known.
    They eat organic crumble and get scratch. I sometimes feed them fruit, but they didn't get anything unusual this last week. They were out in the yard foraging both Sunday and Monday, but I can't think of anything they might have gotten into.
    [/FONT]

I'm trying to figure out if this will affect my other three chickens (they seem okay for now). And what the cause could be. My only idea so far is that they do eat snails in the yard. Could a snail have gotten into snail bait in a neighbor's yard and come into our yard? Could it be from their house being dirty? My husband took a few days longer than usual to clean it out. :( Could it be coccidiosis?

I'm so sad that we lost Jade. She had such a great personality and had the most beautiful black feathers tinged with green.

Let me know if any of you have seen this before and if you have any ideas on what might have caused it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I am sorry for your loss. If not some sort of infection (which the antibiotics should cure), then I think that Coccidiosis is likely. Could you have the vet test for that?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If your chickens have coccidiosis, they need to be started on Corid right away. Sulmet and sulfadimethoxine are also used to treat cocci, but Corid is best. Can you call and ask if they have tested for cocci and what drug they are on?

4. lianaharlan

lianaharlan New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    Los Osos, Calif.
    Just heard back from the vet and it's not coccidiosis. I'm guessing they must have eaten something bad? I have no idea what it could have been. :(

The one that is still at the vet is about the same. She's on oral antibiotics, still a bit lethargic and only ate a little food today, but not a normal appetite. We're going to keep her on antibiotics and probably one more night at the vet and see how things go.

Thanks everyone for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by