Passed THIS gross thing?!?? Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennyf, Feb 26, 2017.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    GLW, one year old, noticed she was lethargic this afternoon and not eating much. Caught her, got her set up in a dog crate in the basement, came upstairs to run her a bath (and consult BYC of course). Just went back down to check on her and she had passed this nugget o' nastiness... What is it??? Should I still bathe her bottom? Since this is out, should I go ahead and put her back out in the coop with the flock tonight? I had a tums tablet mashed and ready to go so I did give her about half that and some yogurt. She is now standing and looks perkier.

First picture is as I found it, second is after I squished the thing. Full of bloody slime, perhaps egg white? She also had this poop.

All girls have been laying for about four or five months and have been right as rain up until now. I got two shell-less eggs a few months ago but otherwise all eggs have been perfect with hard shells.

What is it and what do I need to do? Thanks so much to you wonderful people who are on BYC on a Sunday night reading the emergency forum... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I just read that greens can interfere with calcium absorption and cause soft shelled eggs, but confusingly enough, then read in a different article that they are a good source of calcium. This is one thing that HAS changed--the last three weeks, once a week, I've been tossing a bunch of greens in the run for them to pick at, given its winter and there's not much out there. Kale a couple weeks ago, another bunch of kale a week or so again, then collard greens a few days ago. Could this have caused it?

3. flytie

flytie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    New Jersey
  4. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks, will do that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by