Passing along info including NYS necropsy info

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sadly one of our littles (hatched 6/14/21) died this past Sunday. I wanted to put the info on what we found in one place, in case it helps someone going forward, and since this is one of the sites I looked to first.

Sunday morning I noticed she was lethargic and upon inspection she had foamy, light green diarrhea. Over about 30 minutes she decompensated significantly with loss of motor control. She had a seizure on the way inside and passed shortly there after. A necropsy showed an enlarged liver and significant tumors in multiple organ systems. DX was lymphoid leukosis which is hereditary. I am notifying the hatchery in case they have or can get enough information to cull the hen.

But mostly posting this as Cornell (who does all necropsies for NYS) has a special necropsy program for backyard hens that is relatively inexpensive that I'm happy to share information on. There isn't a lot publically and my dogs' vet wasn't aware of it. So DM me if you need info.

RIP Pesto, I'm glad it was relatively quick.
Rest in piece little one. thank you for spreading some knowledge on this.

So sadly one of our littles (hatched 6/14/21) died this past Sunday. I wanted to put the info on what we found in one place, in case it helps someone going forward, and since this is one of the sites I looked to first.

Sunday morning I noticed she was lethargic and upon inspection she had foamy, light green diarrhea. Over about 30 minutes she decompensated significantly with loss of motor control. She had a seizure on the way inside and passed shortly there after. A necropsy showed an enlarged liver and significant tumors in multiple organ systems. DX was lymphoid leukosis which is hereditary. I am notifying the hatchery in case they have or can get enough information to cull the hen.

But mostly posting this as Cornell (who does all necropsies for NYS) has a special necropsy program for backyard hens that is relatively inexpensive that I'm happy to share information on. There isn't a lot publically and my dogs' vet wasn't aware of the program. So DM me if you need info.

Thanks for sharing.
When you say you're notifying the hatchery which hatchery are you talking about?

Who told you that this was hereditary?

It's caused by a virus.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry

Have you ever added chickens who were not from a hatchery? Or are all of your chickens originally from the same one?

I was just wondering if one of the older birds could have transmitted the virus to the chicks. Many times it is spread vertically from the hen. It can be spread in the droppings, by direct contact with saliva, or by blood (insect bites.)

Sunday morning I noticed she was lethargic and upon inspection she had foamy, light green diarrhea. Over about 30 minutes she decompensated significantly with loss of motor control. She had a seizure on the way inside and passed shortly there after. A necropsy showed an enlarged liver and significant tumors in multiple organ systems. DX was lymphoid leukosis which is transmitted vertically. I am notifying the hatchery in case they have or can get enough information to cull the hen.

But mostly posting this as Cornell (who does all necropsies for NYS) has a special necropsy program for backyard hens that is relatively inexpensive that I'm happy to share information on. There isn't a lot publically and my dogs' vet wasn't aware of the program. So DM me if you need info.

Sorry for you loss and thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom