Passing chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cdollman, Feb 22, 2016.

1. cdollman

cdollman New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Hi I am new on here & to the chick world but today our baby frizzle passed away, we got our amerucana at the same time & since the frizzle has been gone she chirps day and night. Is there anything we should do for her?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry that it's not under better circumstances and that you have lost your frizzle :hugs Getting some other chicks of the same age would be great for her. They are flock animals and do like company of their own kind. For now you could try giving her a small cuddly toy and a mirror. This can often appease them in the short term.

Fingers crossed you can find some new friends for her. Good luck with her.

Enjoy BYC :frow

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry you lost your little frizzle. Yorkshire coop is right, your remaining chick is lonesome. Hope you can find some other chicks about the same age for her.

Good luck and thanks for joining us!

4. cdollman

cdollman New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Thank you! We do have three silkies in there but they seem to leave her out you think still good to put another chick? Sorry should have put more info

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    As the frizzle has passed it may take time for a new pecking order to establish. How old are they? In general she should be ok with the silkies for company. Constant crying can sometimes mean they are unwell. Is she eating and drinking ok? Have you checked her for pasty butt?

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. cdollman

cdollman New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Yes she's been eating and drinking well that I know of. Have been cleaning them daily, hoping she's just sad and not ill

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are the silkies also baby chicks or are they much older? Do you have your chick in a brooder with a heat lamp? Chicks often cry if they are too cold.

9. cdollman

cdollman New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Ya they are all about the same age yes in brooder and heat lamp

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by