1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Passing egg whites after hawk attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2eggpalace, Feb 13, 2015.

1. 2eggpalace

2eggpalace New Egg

Feb 13, 2015
    My hen was attacked by a hawk a week ago. I chased the hawk off and best I could tell my hen was ok- sans many feathers. She gave us 2 eggs in the next three days. Now, she is sitting on the nest and passing a little egg white looking stuff. She's acting normal, eating and drinking. Should I be concerned that she's egg bound? Or just off after the attack?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Is she separate or still with the flock? Is she passing the "egg white looking stuff" INSTEAD of eggs? Like, you're finding it in the nest? Or is it watery white diarrhea on the coop floor? If she's with the flock, are you SURE it's her?

Stress can manifest many different ways in chickens.

I am only asking to be thorough - You did examine her from comb to tail for any lacerations, bruising, or other wounds? (I'm sure you did.)

You can check for egg binding by lubing up a finger and inserting into her vent... You won't have to go far if there is an egg in there. If she still doesn't pass it and starts acting lethargic and puffed up, a soak in a warm Epsom salt can relax her enough to pass it. We'll cross that bridge if we get there, though.

After something like that, I would separate her, if you haven't already, just for a period of observation... A chicken will hide their symptoms until they are literally on death's door. Separating her in a dog crate inside the garage will help you identify any weird behavior much earlier. :)

Let us know if any other symptoms show up. I hope it's nothing serious and your mama is just a little stunned.

MrsB

3. 2eggpalace

2eggpalace New Egg

Feb 13, 2015
    Thank you so much for responding so quickly! I did inspect her as best I could. I didn't find anything. She is still with the flock- I only have 3. I'm very sure it's her "egg whites". She sits on the nest and when she leaves it's there without an egg. Normally, she lays large eggs almost daily. I figured she might stop for a while I just didn't expect what's happening. Thanks again. I'll try and check her vent. My 4 and 3 year old will love to help.

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Nothing like investigating the nooks and crannies of your chickens to get a Friday going! :p

I'm fairly certain she is okay. If she's still eating and drinking normally and talking, "chatting," and scratching, I'd say her odd poops are stress-related. Vets see this often when people have to bring in their birds. But it helps to isolate her, so you can monitor her poops.

Now if she STOPS eating and drinking or looks like she's losing weight, walking like a penguin, wheezing or experiencing labored breathing, passing neon-green poops, bloody poops, or passing YOLK without an egg, let us know!

If you can pin-point the start of weird behavior to a specific event, you can pretty much chalk it up to Chicken PTSD. I'm glad she escaped unscathed and I hope she makes a full recovery. :)

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by