Passing of a chick

Nicoleb94

Hatching
Feb 24, 2023
Hello!
I hatched 17 chicks from my backyard flock (I have two roosters) but wanted to guarantee some chickens since normally when I hatch I end up with half roosters so I got 6 hens from Tractor supply….they have all been doing great running around and eating and drinking..I put them all together. This morning one of the hens from TSC is dead….I’m worried now they were possibly sick and could contaminate the rest? I also realized I never looked to see if the TSC chicks were vaccinated and the other 17 are not so I’ve been giving medicated feed…could this have caused it?

I have hatched 3 batches and never lost a chick before (except one that was a cross beak but I know that is why she passed)..I am not sure if this is a more common thing and I’ve been very lucky or if I have a problem and they are going to start passing away?

Hello!
I hatched 17 chicks from my backyard flock (I have two roosters) but wanted to guarantee some chickens since normally when I hatch I end up with half roosters so I got 6 hens from Tractor supply….they have all been doing great running around and eating and drinking..I put them all together. This morning one of the hens from TSC is dead….I’m worried now they were possibly sick and could contaminate the rest? I also realized I never looked to see if the TSC chicks were vaccinated and the other 17 are not so I’ve been giving medicated feed…could this have caused it?

I have hatched 3 batches and never lost a chick before (except one that was a cross beak but I know that is why she passed)..I am not sure if this is a more common thing and I’ve been very lucky or if I have a problem and they are going to start passing away?
It’s Pretty common to loose a chick here and there, some causes could be pasty butt,failure to thrive or just a weak chick that git bullied.
I would Keep an eye out for the other chicks and observe them, you could also try and examine the dead chick to see if it has pasty butt😊

Hello!

Oh I’m sorry that’s so sad 😞

Welcome to BYC :) How old are your chicks? Shipping can be rough on chicks and sometimes they do die within the first week. We have bought shipped chicks twice and lost one each time😞 Keep an eye on everyone and check all for pasty butt - that is common in shipped chicks as well. The chicks at our TS are not vaccinated, but in any case, I don't think that would be an issue. Good luck and keep us updated😊

Back
Top Bottom