Passion fruit roulade - Nigel Slater recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Doszbvnp, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Doszbvnp

Doszbvnp Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    this is a great way of using up lots of eggs! good dinner party number, very light, melt in the mouth dessert.

large eggs - 6
    caster sugar - 100g
    lemons - 2
    plain flour - 2 heaped tablespoons
    icing sugar for dusting

for the filling

lemon or orange curd - 350g
    double or whipping cream - 280-300ml
    passion fruits, ripe and wrinkled - 12
    caster sugar to finish

You will need a baking ray approx 36 x 30 cm with shallow sides, doesnt matter if its just a few cm out.

Set oven at 200 deg/gas mark 6, line the tray with baking parchment, making sure it comes up the sides.
    Seperate the eggs, put the yolks into a food mixer and the whites into a bowl large enough in which to beat them. Add the sugar to the yolks and whiske until pale, thick and creamy.

Grate the zest from both lemons, squeeze the juice of one of them. Beat the egg whites until thick and soft peak, then fold the juice and zest into the egg yolks and sugar mix, then the sifted flour and then the egg whites. Add the whites slowly, firmly but gently so the air is not knocked out of them, do not over mix! Scoop the mix into the lined tin, smoothing gently out to the edges.

Bake for 10 mins until the top is very lightly coloured and feels softly set, let it cool for a few minutes.

Put a piece of greasproof paper on a work surface, cover lightly with the caster sugar, the turn the roulade onto it, crust side down. Do this in one quick movement, tipping it out upside down. Carefully peel away the paper and cover with a clean, damp tea towel. It will be fine like this until you are ready to fill it.

When you are ready, remove the teatowel and spread the lemon or orange curd over the surface, then whip the cream to soft peak and spread over the curd. Cut 8 of the passion fruits in half and spread the juice and seeds over the cream. Take one short end of the greaseproof paper and use it to help roll up the roulade, if the surface cracks, all good! Dust with the icing sugar and cut into thick slices, serve with the remaining passion fruits squeezed over.

This wasnt the prettiest looking pudding, but it was extremely good and smelt fantastic

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Wow that sounds very nice! If I ever had any eggs left over I'd try that [​IMG]

3. Tyler1

Tyler1 New Egg

Jun 14, 2014
    They say passion fruit is the miracle fruit for it has a lot of nutrients. Adding passion fruit in your recipe is really a good choice. It will add up to the rich flavor of the recipe. I can't wait to create my own recipe with passion fruit too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by