Passionate about having organic eggs for my family- Newbie

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by citygrl74, May 7, 2009.

1. citygrl74

citygrl74 New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Pinellas, FL
    Hi,

I am Robin and I have always wanted Chickens, not to eat, but for the eggs. like I said I am new, so I really need advice on how to build a coop with a run with out breaking the bank. I want them to be as free roaming as possible. So I have set aside 50X40 in my back yard. I plan on using the eggs for food, and the poop for my garden [​IMG]. I am only looking to house 2-3 hens. I will start one at a time. Any advise or suggestions would be wonderful.. One more question..what kind of small hen is dosel? I have 2 boys. I live in a city, but In a unicorrprated area ( thank goodness)

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Welcome [​IMG] From: Ohio

Well, you've come to the right place...

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Robin, welcome. FL is a great place to keep a few chickens. I just moved from WPB to GA a few months ago. Your requirements will be shade, water, and security. You don`t need a hen house or coop as most others do, as long as your birds have the above. They also need a secure, dry place to lay their eggs. Make it an easy access for you. Also, with 2 boys and a hubby, feeding 4 would dictate perhaps 6 hens. You should be able to realize 3-4 eggs a day from most heavy breeds for most of the year. You can usually pick up chicks at a local feed store and most will have sexed chicks so you can start with all girls. Later, if you desire, you can ad a rooster. Chickens are adictive and you will want far more than you have planned, so be prepared. Have fun and pay attention to all the other posts here. It`s a learning experience, but very rewarding.......Pop

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:[​IMG] from Washington

Look at the coop forum for ideas on a coop- lots of people build with recycled stuff to keep costs down. 50 X 40 is lots of space for 2-3 hens. Most on here would suggest that you do not start 1 at a time. Chickens are social and probably will adapt to one another better if you get at least 3 to start. Maybe more if you want to take into account possible losses. I think most breeds can be docile. If you get chicks handle them a lot. Their temperment is very individual. If your not sure if chickens are legal where you live check with animal control in your area. Good Luck! You came to the right place.

Imp

5. citygrl74

citygrl74 New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Pinellas, FL
    Thanks,

I thought 50 feet by 40 feet would be plenty for a coop area for 2-3 hens.. Thanks for letting me know [​IMG] it is not. I have a huge back yard so I can double that if needed. There are cats in the neighborhood, so I wasn't sure if the hens would be safe without a coop. I also have 2 gardens one about 15x30 and the other is 50X40. We eat about 1 1/2 dozen eggs per week. I need to start slow...... little nervous. Please tell me more I am a sponge right now

Thanks [​IMG]

6. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    if u want 1 1/2 dozen eggs a week your going to meed more than 3 hens depending how much u eat a day
    ETA: because u would probaly get 2 eggs a day IMO

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  7. citygrl74

citygrl74 New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Pinellas, FL
    Ok, yes 2-3 hens probaly are not going to give that many eggs, but its a start. I need to go slow on this.. and don't forget the poop is great for my garden. I also just enjoy animals.

8. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i just hatched some chickies a couple weeks back for eggs and pets one of them is a sweety she is a lav arucana. what kind of chickens are u after if its purly for eggs leghorns are good but not good as pets not a verry cuddly bird. but if its for a cuddly bird that lays a good amout of eggs i think orpingtons are good and many other breeds that i cant remember at this time lol someone else will know

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    First of all [​IMG]

To start your project, please don't be nervous at all, it is easier than what we think, and quite a lot of fun, to build your coop ( think green) that way you will save tons of $$$ and get what you want. for an example look at this picture

[​IMG]

all this Lumber was only $54 yes 54 dollars only, I went to lowes and asked for culled lumber and that what I got.

and this picture

[​IMG]

This coop was build from old decking wood.

make it simp[le when you build and don't make your design so complecated, chickens want very little, a roost a nest box and a place to sleep, make it preditors proof and wind and draft free, ventilation is also something very important in chickens world and also light.
    I am sure if you hang around BYC for few days you will learn a lot.
    and we are here to help you and answer your Questions,

Now good luck and welcome to our world.

Omran

10. citygrl74

citygrl74 New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Pinellas, FL
    Wow.. very nice coop....ok what is culled lumber? lol

where is the venelation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by