Passive or aggressive?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by philintheblank, Jun 3, 2011.

1. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    what is your prefered method of dealing with predatore attacks?
    would like to hear a bunch of different solutions that everyone has come up with
    for the various kinds of creatures that have wreaked havoc.
    share your stories please.

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    It really depends on your location, resources, the local predators, how close your neighbors are, your ethics, how strong your stomach is... [​IMG]

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    As for four and two legged predators, I trap or shoot. The latter is the prferred. And yes the two legged predator gets the same treatment as the four, just have to do it gently. Any winged predator is protected under law, so they get a pass.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Secure fences

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good hardware cloth, skirt the bottom (don't dig it in), and wire the top on runs for open coops, for 24/7 protection

Or have a securable coop that they can roost in at night and net the top and skirt for day time hunters.

6. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    traps and guns....although it does make me feel really bad to shoot a caged animal (from a hunting backround, its just unsporting)... but it needs to be done when i see footprints all around the coop knowing its only a matter of time.

7. baldessariclan

baldessariclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I think that good perimeter security is the best bet -- strong fences and secure enclosures, etc. Least amount of long term effort, after the initial investment and work. And against some predators (e.g. hawks), it's you're only real (legal) option.

8. romadfox

romadfox Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Ridgeway, SC
    Hey Y'all,
    I live in the country and I know there are predators out there, but I don't see themn much. I have apretty secure run and coop, but I also have invested in these Solar Nite eyes to repel predators. Here's a link where you can read more about them. If you decide to order them, tell them you saw their ad in GRIT's Backyard Chickens mag for a discount. http://www.solarniteeyes.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by