Past lawn fertilizer & weed/feed, want organic eggs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kemah, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Kemah

Kemah New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    I know that variations of this question have been posed numerous times, but I'm still not clear on what to do in my specific situation...

I just got my first chicks and I have a coop for when they grown, but I would like to free range them during the day when they are big enough... My husband has fertilized and used weed and feed on the lawn last year. The absolute reason that I am raising my own chickens is for safe and organic eggs (they are already eating a completely organic diet). So does this mean I can never free range them on the lawn or is a 6-9 month time frame long enough to consider it quite safe given my standards?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The best you can do is contact the manufacturer, and ask how long the stuff takes to break down. Then, to be on the safe side, I'd contact your county extension office and ask the same question. they should have a poultry expert on staff that you can talk to, or one of the local universities that has an Agriculture program. Good luck. I'm sure it's an issue that most of us have grappled with when initially choosing to get chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by