Past the hatch date

Gramma2008

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
Middle Tennessee
I have hatched 15 of 20 eggs as of yesterday. The five that are left were seen to be progressing right along their eggmates. But now nothing. Our last hatch we waited at least a week and then figured they were dead. Turned out three of them had still been alive. But once the shells cracked of course they died. We were devastated. This hatch was collected for a week. Then all started incubation at the same time. I use a pencil to date my eggs everyday. It’s not that these stragglers were all from the last day/of collecting. Should I candle them again to see if they’re still viable? How long should I wait it out?

Movement doesn’t mean much as they run out of room. A dead chick at this age would start to recede into the egg. What to look for would be where the chick before was against the air cell you will see a space starting to form there as if the chick is now moving away from the air cell.

They were all expired. There were three total. Two others hadn’t developed and had died earlier. I knew they weren’t progressing. But the last three we had hopes. RIP little chicks!
Here’s a pic of their hatch mates. All are a mix of either a Barred Rock or an Australorp rooster covering EE or Olive Egger hens. interesting mix to be sure!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom