Past two days my birds are not returning to coop!!!!!!!!

Mac Momma

Crabgrass Queen
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
North Georgia
My birds are 9 months, cooping up like clock work and the past two days, they are roosting outside. It is below 20 and I am rounding them up into their coop. What in the world? The coop is the warmer place!

Also check the coop to see if there are any signs of a predator trying to get into the coop from underneath. Things like rats, a snake, weasels, etc. Or it could be that there isn't enough ventilation in there.

Sounds like something about the coop spooked them. Like FrChuckW said, check for predators. For snakes check your nest boxes carefully and turn over your shavings on the floor.

Unfortunately I was ignorant to this very sign last summer. For a few nights I had to wrangle them to get them to go inside at night. After a few nights of this I lost 3 hens to a racoon. Luckily I got him before he got any more. Now I have no problem and they all return at night again.

Snakes at this time of year? Uuuuggggghhhhh! I think my coop is pretty secure. It is a solid floor metal shed. rEally no way for things to get in, but I guess when the door is chicken door is open during the day. SNAKES in the winter?!?! I thought they would be burrowed deep in the underneaths of the earth, where they belong.

I am wondering about the ventilation thing mentioned though. I had let my shavings get pretty dirty the past few weeks, turning them, but not really doing like I have been and cleaning them out. I chucked all the shavings into the run tonight and laid fresh in and got a heat lamp to maybe give some heat. Last night was below 20 tonight it isn't supposed to be that cold maybe mid twenties. I put them in the coop. I guess I will check tomorrow around for raccoons.

Quote:
I saw a (another) young black snake out by my coop a couple of weeks ago. We had a warm up followed by another cold spell. Guess he/she was looking for a place to get warm. It was just a black snake, so it didn't bother me too much.
My SO warns me about snakes getting into the coop all the time because I leave the door open during the day.

In GA heck yea. We have snakes in the late fall and early spring laying out in the sun. They do disappear completely in winter here but then it was -30F a few weeks ago. They would probably be awful sluggish though. Usually on the 60F days (around 40-50F at night) you can just scoop them up off the concrete without them hardly trying to get away. A couple more weeks when we finally get back above freezing regularly they'll start showing up in the warmer spots in my stable and on the black top driveway.

Back
Top Bottom