Pastey Butt and swollen vent in pullet just coming in to lay

plumpybum

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
I did a search and most topics on pastey butt are with baby chicks, however I have a 10 month old pullet that I think just started laying (it's either her and her sister or just one of them starting to lay).

She has the classic build up of poop all around her vent and the area looks slightly swollen and feels harder than it should. It's just kind of oozing out of her. I cleaned her up really good yesterday when I first noticed it - ran her vent area under warm water for 10 minutes then dried her up. Today it's starting to accumulate again and now I am noticing a small amount of blood mixed in with the feces. Other than this she is behaving normally and still has full color in her face.

What should I be doing at this point other than trying to keep her clean?? I am seeing limited information on this topic outside of baby chicks.

Thank you!

Please provide some photos.

You mention oozing out of her - do you mean the poop or is she prolapsed?

When was her last egg?

Blood is concerning. You'll want to gather her up and inspect her more closely to see if there's damage to the vent, see if you can find the source of blood.

Just cleaned her up again. Her vent does not seem to be quite as swollen or raw looking as yesterday. No cuts around the vent, the blood definitely appears to be coming out with her feces. I've seen a couple of bits of poops around the run today with a little blood in it just like the photo.

I'm not sure if she has laid any eggs yet. I have 2 spitzhauben pullets from the same hatch and only just started getting eggs from 1 or both of them in the past week. Only one per day/every other so cannot confirm they are both laying. I'm pretty sure it's not her laying, at least not in the past couple days, as the eggs I've been getting are nice and clean.

Attachments

• BonniePastey.jpg
    BonniePastey.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 12
  • BonniePastey2.jpg
    BonniePastey2.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom