pastey butt questions for upcoming chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by critterwhisper, Jan 29, 2013.

1. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi,my girls will be here next wednesday (insert booty dance here lol)from a emotional roller coaster to being stooked to being scared(i recall these emotions with being pregnate with my kids-lol)with preparing last week prep i am still a lil stumped on pastey booties.This seems to be a common occurance with chicks right? So wipe their lil bums with a warm cloth,patt dry and apply vasaline? Whats your way?Thank you :)

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Some folks seem to have a bunch of this issue, judging by all the discussion here. Yet, we rarely, if ever, see it.

3. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    I have only had one chick with pasty butt and I did as you stated above, clean her up then put a little bit of vasaline on it. I also started adding ACV on day 5 after they have established eating and drinking, the ACV will keep their bottoms clean.

I do 2 table spoons organic it has to be organic with the "Mother" in it to a gallon of water.

Good luck with your girls!
    I have 25 st. run bantams coming between the 7th and 8th of Fab

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We've only had it once also. It was on a chick that hatched late and humidity had gotten high after all the others hatched. Basically we needed to wash the album off the entire chick then the pasty butt showed up so continued to wash there and apply olive oil with q-tip.

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

How do you avoid that? Do you get shipped chicks? I tried the ACV in the water with no luck, still a bunch of pasty butt.

6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I actually soak their butts in warm water (for really bad cases), dry, and then do vaseline on and around the vent. Afterwards I make sure their warm area is nice and toasty for them to fully dry off in. Good luck with your chicken kids!!

I find that my shipped chicks get pasty butt within 24hrs of arriving, so putting ACV in 48hrs after they arrive wouldn't help [​IMG]

7. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    You may see pasted vents on chicks that are chilled during shipping, that's a common thing. Honestly, washing them isn't really necessary. What you need to learn to do is to gently pry the dried feces off the vent and take with it the fluff around the vent that is holding the feces. It takes a little practice to do this, gently gently the first few times, but once you get good at it, it will become second nature. The key is to check them several times a day so it doesn't get too bad. And once the fluff has been removed from around the vent, and the skin is bare, then there is just that much less to catch the feces in the first place. I don't ever bother with vaseline...

There are only so many times you want to be blow drying a chick's butt anyway, I assure you. It does get easier and you get better at it as you go along. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. critterwhisper

Jan 14, 2013
    I have only had one chick with pasty butt and I did as you stated above, clean her up then put a little bit of vasaline on it. I also started adding ACV on day 5 after they have established eating and drinking, the ACV will keep their bottoms clean.

I do 2 table spoons organic it has to be organic with the "Mother" in it to a gallon of water.

Good luck with your girls! 
    I have 25 st. run bantams coming between the 7th and 8th of Fab
    [/quote

9. critterwhisper

Jan 14, 2013
    Good luck with your upcoming babies,sorry i messed up the quote thing,your gonna have your hands full sam:) ok looks like i may have two factors playing with me shipped chicks and cold weather.i wil def keep my eyes on the lookout on their bums just to be safe. Now is there usualy after the first week or two that the risk decreases?

10. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I added plain yogurt to their starter and a little water to make a mash, served in a small dish and in two days time the pasty butt was completely gone and no problems since then, I fed one container over three days time and they loved the mash. I used Greek yogurt so I added a little sugar because it is a little more sour than regular plain yogurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by