1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pastey butt/sleepy eye?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by qhluvr34, Jun 22, 2008.

1. qhluvr34

qhluvr34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Brazil, Indiana
    I have a 2 week old Bantam chick with pastey butt and sleepy eye (or at least that is what it's symptoms are). It eats and drinks, is active but not as active as the rest of the batch. I had 2 others with same symptoms but died within 3 days of getting symptoms. Please help.

2. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep the little things bum cleaned off so he doesn't get all backed up. Thats what usually will kill them.

3. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    What causes this? I have 27 BR chicks, and only a few of them have pastey butt, and the others are fine.....is it the water?

4. qhluvr34

qhluvr34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Brazil, Indiana
    Well I cleaned it's butt, put some sugar in the water and it seems to be doing better today. I also went back to using warm water instead of cold water.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:Pasty butt is usually caused by stress from shipping. Since I've been hatching my own eggs, I've noticed that I rarely have a chick that gets it.

After cleaning off the pasty poo, I wipe down the butt with mineral oil/baby oil and this helps keep the poo from sticking.

Dawn

6. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Ok, thanx.....I cleaned the few that had it today, and everyone else looked good. Thanx for the info! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by