Pastey Butt Treatment

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by woodhill, May 13, 2009.

1. woodhill

woodhill New Egg

May 13, 2009
    I've only raised two batches of chicks, so I'm by no means an expert. However, I found a method of alleviating pastey butt that has worked both times that I thought I should share. It's essentially a chick spa! I started with the usual washcloth wiping, etc that all seemed to cause discomfort to the chicks. With this, they don't seem discontent at all (actually had one fall asleep during it). They put up more of a fuss when I'm moving them than when I'm actually cleaning them.

For this, I use a disposable, shallow dish that is about 3 inches high, like a gladware container. The second necessity is an old toothbrush (obviously all things are destined for the trash after the spa). I fill the dish with water that is just warmer than lukewarm and don't add anything else to it. I take the chick and cradle it under the belly with my fingers and set it in the water. If the water is the right temp, they just settle down and let you hold them there. I try to use just enough water that their feet touch the bottom and that their butt is just under the water, but I cradle them the whole time. I hold them there for about 2 minutes or so and then start gently massaging the poo off their butt under the water. As I get to crustier areas, I just let them soak in the water longer and then start again with the toothbrush. The whole process takes about 5 minutes, and they don't mind it at all. Plus, I can get all the poo off without making their butt sore or pulling out their feathers. Afterwards, I dab their butt a little with a papertowel to get the excess water off and then put them back under the heat lamp. I have 4 happy little ones that just finished their spa treatment, are shaking their little tail fluff and are falling asleep as I write this.

2. Relaxing with the Reds

Relaxing with the Reds Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    Thanks so much for the spa suggestion! Although my chicks weren't as pleased with their adventure as I had hoped, the dried poop fell away quickly and there wasn't any pain for the protesting chick. Have you heard of any solution that would put an end to the crusties? or do I simply have to continue my daily poop patrol?

3. chemie

chemie New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Farm - Milk River
    Hi,
    I have 25 Red Sussex Cross 2 day olds. (They arrived yesterday). I would say approximately 15 of them have poo around the vent area. I have been picking them up this morning and trying with a wet Qtip, but they are strugglers. Some it seems, have poo just under the vent area. So, should i make up a little spa in the sink and put everyone with a dirty bum in there for a bath? Then after do i q-tip on olive oil, towel dry and put them back in the brooder?

They have medicated crumble and fresh water. I'm using a 250 watt heat lamp, which i think i will change to red tonight. The temp under the lamp fluctuates from 32-35C which is 90-95F. I'm wondering if it is normal for so many of them to have this. Are there any other preventative measures i should know about?
    Thanks!

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.........Pop

5. Yes, the Molasses is a very good thing. You can use the Sorgahm.

Another thing used is ACV (apple cider vinager). Put a small amount in their waterers. It REALLY works well.

6. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I'm glad you posted this again as I lost it the first time. Is there any way you could post a pic on how you are holding the chick to show how you do this without getting the little things belly all wet too?
    Thanks very much,

7. chemie

chemie New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Farm - Milk River
    Mine were not at all impressed with the spa treatment. Putting their buts under running lukewarm water and brushing with an old toothbrush worked pretty good, despite their complaints.

I put a capful of apple cider vinegar in their water dish yesterday and again today when i changed the water (approx 1 gallon waterer). Some still have a bit of pastey butt, but i think it is improving.

Thanks for the tips!

8. Deeregirl

Deeregirl New Egg

May 13, 2009
    I can't find the original link I found this information on, but I am new to chicks and unfortunately I found out about pasty butt the hard way after loosing a chick to it. I found and took the advice to put 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar/quart of water - no more - and have had no problem with pasty butt since! I love this forum, everyone is so helpful and supportive, it's been a great help to a newbie like me! [​IMG]

9. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    The easiest thing for me turned out to be sticking their butt under running water and gently massaging the area. They like that a lot more than dipping their butts in a dish of water, although the dish of water method certainly uses less water. I also did the acv and the ground oatmeal.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have 24 chicks and do poop patrol everday. There's only 2-3 that I have to treat everday-they love it..I do the same as expalined above except i use qtips under the water for their bums...i move the chick slowly back and forth while im cleaning it and they love it--most fall alseep while doing it. Most of the time I have a few feathers to cut-to stop the poop from sticking more-i dab their buts w papertowels and put them back-The ones I treat for this are the sweetest ones-I think because they get handled the most!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by