Pasting (chick butt pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oneboyonegirl, May 8, 2009.

1. oneboyonegirl

oneboyonegirl New Egg

Mar 17, 2009
    My 12 chicks arrived 4 days ago (Tuesday).
    They all seemed to be doing great. In the short time they have been here I can even tell that they've grown.
    I wiped a couple butts here and there, just to be on the safe side.

This morning I went to clean the brooder and all the chicks started peeping and running around when I put my hand in, except 1.
    I picked her up first and she had goopy poop all over her butt. I got a damp cloth and wiped her off. She didn't care that I was holding her, but she never did, she is the nicest little chick.

I cleaned the brooder, put them all back in but this one is keeping to herself.

I am so worried!
    Do most chicks die if they start pasting?

Do any of you have suggestions on how I can help her?

My book says to add chick scratch to her food or crushed uncooked oatmeal.
    Is this ok for all the chicks or should I isolate her?

sorry if I offend but here's her butt after I cleaned it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help [​IMG]

2. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
  3. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    I have found that ground up dry oatmeal works wonderfully. I usually just add it to their medicated feed and mix it all up. You may want to dab a little olive oil on it's butt also.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Pasty butt is VERY common for chicks, and no they don't usually die from it - unless it is not cleaned off. If not cleaned off their system can back up because there is nowhere for their poop to go. For your chick try giving her some sugar water and check and see if her vent is swollen. If so, Neosporin!!!! Good luck [​IMG]

5. oneboyonegirl

oneboyonegirl New Egg

Mar 17, 2009
    Thank You both!
    I am going to add the oatmeal right now and try the Olive Oil.

6. oneboyonegirl

oneboyonegirl New Egg

Mar 17, 2009
    Quote:I've been giving them sugar water since they arrived...today I was goign to switch them to regular water.
    I'll stick with it for now.
    Off to check for swelling!

7. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I have been using the ground oatmeal for two days and-- NO MORE PASTY BUTTS!!!! I'm so grateful to all the BYC wise-people, b/c that was not fun.

8. oneboyonegirl

oneboyonegirl New Egg

Mar 17, 2009
    Sad news

The baby chick in the photos didn't make it. I really thought she would...she kept eating and drinking but was so small and weak.
    On Sunday she couldn't stand up so I used the vinegar and baking soda method that was posted here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=147192
    to cull her.

Prior to that, on Saturday one of my Rhode Island Reds died. That came on very fast.

We are all sad, had a funeral for both of them.
    They were the smallest, all the others seem to be growing so fast and still look healthy [​IMG]

Thank You all for your help!

9. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I'm so sorry about your chicks, that is so sad!!! They are so little and helpless, seems like if something goes wrong they don't have enough strength to fight it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by