Pasting! Not sure if its poop or part of the tail feathers!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karisma118, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Karisma118

Karisma118 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Nebo, NC
    I have a 3 day old chick that seems pasted up. It is a black chick so i cant tell if its poo or part of the tail feathers. I have tried a warm water paper towel but that didnt work..Help! Any ideas?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is it below the vent? Tail feathers are above the vent. Pasty butt is crusted poo that sticks to the fuzz below the vent. You need to get it good and wet, and you can gently remove it. Make sure you do not pull hard, I try to dislodge it a bit at a time.

Here's a picture showing tail feathers developing on a 1 week old chick.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. Karisma118

Karisma118 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Nebo, NC
    It appears to be everywhere! their bottoms are so fluffy! I got it off the 2 chicks and a couple hours later they had it on them again.....i see now where the tailfeathers are and i left that area alone. I guess i will just have to keep cleaning them....just those 2 chicks so far. Thanks for your advice!

4. NanaRose

NanaRose Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    South Alabama
    Thanks for the pick. I'm brand new with 5 day old chicks, and seeing tail feathers just like this on two. I've heard so much about pasty butt that I'm neurotically watching them. About standing on my head to see. Thus far they just look all fluffy on their back ends. Is pasty butt easy to see?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, very easy to see. It will look like a crusty wad stuck to the fluff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by