Pasting up aprox. 3 wk chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by celticmomma, Mar 30, 2012.

1. celticmomma

celticmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Western MA
    Okay, so I got 6 baby chicks from Tractor Supply last Saturday. I noticed a day or two ago that one of the smaller chicks has poo stuck on his/her bum. (they are straight run, so I don't know if it is a hen or rooster yet) This morning I tried to place it's bum in a small bowl of water, but it FREAKED out any time I held it with its wings down and feet resting on my finger, so it couldn't try and fly away. (all six have started jumping, and attempting flying.) If I let it walk around on my hand/arm it was fine, but would not stand still enough to get the poo wet enough to be successful in getting it off. It can still go poo, so it's vent isn't clogged yet. It went while I had it out. It has started to peck at it's own bum, and I am not sure if the others do, I have not seen it yet. So, it needs to come off. I'm just worried I will hurt it, either physically, or stressing it out too much. This is the first time I have had chickens, so all of this is new to me. Any suggestions?

2. joannarashid

joannarashid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Palo Alto, California
    This is somewhat common the first few weeks. You should take care of it though. Even if it can still poop, the others may peck at the clump on the bum. Eventually, it would probably get pasted up. You need to be a little more assertive about holding it still. Just get a few paper towels pretty damp with warm water. Lay that in the palm of one hand and hold the chick witch your other hand over top with the pasted up bum on the warm towel. They tend to calm down if you cover their wings and bring their feet in close to thei bodies ( not too forcefully though). Mine would often fall asleep while sitting there from the warmth of the towel. You may need to repeat and/or work at it a little to completely clean up the chick.

3. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    I agree...be more assertive- you are really saving the chicks life.
    I actually had to do a little bum wiping this evening with one of my super little chicks- it just happens. Some chicks just get pastier than others. Obviously, you care about the chicks well being, otherwise you wouldn't post! You are going to be a great chicken mom.
    I take 2 warm towels (one to wrap them with, the other to wipe) and a small tuperware container of warm water, filled just a couple inches up. Get the towel wet, rub the little bum (they are going to SCREAM! It's ok--just be gentle, kind, patient, and slowly wipe the pasty off) then dunk the butt in the warm water- it should get rid of any residual junk and hopefully your chick has calmed down by then. Wipe again, then comfort your violated chick!
    I would recommend adding molasses to your water for at least the next week- it really helps. There are lots of threads about it.

4. celticmomma

Mar 30, 2012
    Western MA
    Thank you both! I was able to get it off this morning after about a half hour of warm paper towels and a very squirmy unhappy chick. It was a lot happier, and calmer after it was all off. I think that the other chicks were actually pecking at it's bum - it's also the smallest one of the six and seems scared around the other chicks.
    Since I noticed the poo on the one chick, everybody gets a bum inspection at least once a day, if not twice. Which I notice almost all end up with poo on their feet, which I've been wiping off when I see it. Is poo on their feet a problem? Ive cleaned their brooder (which is a 40ish gallon plastic tub w/ pine shavings and chicken wire) twice in the week that I have had them.

5. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    We put a bit of Vaseline on their butts when they want to go pasty, after cleaning them up. Not a big gob, just enough to make their feathers nonstick lol.

6. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    Poop on the feet is normal. You don't want it to be caked up, but you're going to drive yourself crazy if try to keep their feet constantly clean. They literally poop in their water & feed and then walk around in it. So gross, but they are just babies. The amount of cleaning you doing with the brooder seems to be adequate- a couple of times a week in a small brooder is ALOT of cleaning, but better safe than sorry when they're that little. Also, if you're using molasses, electrolytes, sugar water, etc. their poop is going to be alot runnier for a while. Makes it twice as gross. I haven't used a vaseline solution before, but I have heard it works, I just don't have any in my house at the moment.

Below is a pic of my little pasty sitting directly in the feeder- that is the ultimate spot to hang out in my kindergarden brooder. I can just imagine the lovely treats he is leaving.. I've stopped filling it up & started using alternate feeders since everyone wants to sleep in that particular feeder. Cute.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. celticmomma

Mar 30, 2012
    Western MA
    Thank you! I clean it off their feet mostly when I pick them up so it doesn't end up all over my hands, which it usually does anyhow. I'll probably end up cleaning it once every week or week and a half. Got done twice last week because I moved them to a bigger brooder after day 2 of having them. But they now have 6 more little play mates that are about a week younger, so it will be twice the mess. =) My older ones like to sleep in their feeder that looks like that too, when they aren't roosted on top of their water container.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by