Pasting up in adult birds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hcammack, May 31, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    A few of my birds are getting some poop stuck around their vents. My favorolles are espeacaily bad since before it was just them I thought it was their extra fluffiness that was causing it and I trimmed some of their but feathers. but now a few others hens have a very minor case. I food Purina Leyena and oystershells. they get a handful of scratch a day and they get to free range. The treats I give are occasionaly bread, yogurt (I know this is a solution but it seems unrealistic to feed it every day), and lettuce. Do you know what could be causing this pasting up no one is acting sick or lethargic and its been going on for about 2 months. They all seem healthy and happy and are laying. Is it the lack of animal protien in their feed? its only happening on four birds. Its not gotten that bad at all on the favorroles it has built up allot more but on the others its not bad at all and if it is I will trim their feathers. i thought is would be fixes by the feather trimming and washing with warm water that I did on the favorroles but it didn't work.

Thanks in advance,
    Henry

2. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Sorry this post is kinda a stream of conciousness LOL the real question is does anybody have any ideas about what causes them to paste up?

Thanks,
    Henry

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    have they been wormed?
    if so, when? and what was used?

try cutting out the lettuce..can give them them the "squirts"..

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    OK thanks I have not wormed them with chemicals because I don't like the idea of eating eggs after. I have used DE in their feed occasionally and given them pumpkin seeds in buttermilk which is supposed to naturally worm them. What product would you suggest?

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    the diet you feed sounds very similar to what I used to feed,,,,,I would try cutting off the lettuce (if they are free ranging they dont need it) and drastically reduce the yogurt to a small treat maybe 1-2X a week.... I think that might help

edit: whenever I gave yogurt mine would do that

Last edited: May 31, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by