pasting up?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crystal94040, Sep 11, 2007.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    I just got 7 new baby chicks...I put them in our tub, made sure the temp was right, put down some pee pads with pine shavings on top, made sure they all ate and drank and then started to check them for "pasting up"
    I've never owned chickens before so I'm not positive but it seems like they are pasted up in the front and not the back?! Unless thats something else from when they were born? like a chicken umbilical stump...lol??
    I'm lost! It seems like their little butts are clear but the front is crusted over?....not sure if I have it backwards and should try to wipe it off or if it's something I should leave alone.

2. new2chicks GBG PA

new2chicks GBG PA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    How far up the front is it? I would say that if it was just in front of the vent area (more underneath) then I would leave it be. It could very well be from hatching.

3. crystal94040

Aug 15, 2007
    It's hard to explain this without just coming out and saying it so excuse me if I'm too blunt.
    I can see right under the little nub of a tail what looks like an anus? thats all clear. A little further forward where I would GUESS they would pee out of it crusted over. I don't know squat about chicken anatomy...I'm googling away but cant pind any site that clearly defines what area gets pasted up?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That sounds like the umbilical stump. Leave it alone. It will be fine. Chickens dont pee. White material on top of the poop are urates, the "pee".

5. crystal94040

Aug 15, 2007
    ok That what I was just reading on another site....good to know!!!
    Thanks [​IMG]
    they are just too cute [​IMG]

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I beg to differ on the chickens don't pee thing. My silkie hen pees and the reason I know this is because she did it on me.[​IMG] I know it wasn't poo cause it was clear.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It all comes out together and the same hole ....trust us..[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They sometimes do clearish poop/discharge, but technically, they do not pee. They do have multiple ways to mess up a shirt for you, though!

9. crystal94040

Aug 15, 2007
    but it's from the same hole right? as long as there is no second hole then they are all fine. [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, what speckledhen is saying is right. Bird's don't pee. They can have varying degree's of poo though. From the chunky blobs perfectly formed with the white capped urea to the wattery splorts than run down your pant leg into your shoe.

The one that takes the cake though is the infamous stink to high heaven broody poo. *place disgusted face here*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by