Pasting up?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jarhead, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    None of my chicks even have a smear of poo let alone a wad of it. How common is this problem? I check mine everyday for it and they are always clean as a whistle. They always get upset when I flip them over to look. At what point is there no longer a chance of it happening (when should I quit looking)?
    Thanks

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    It seems to be more common in the "fluffy" breeds. Our Buff Orps and Cochins have it but not the Dark Cornish. Once they start eating and drinking well (about 2 weeks) it's pretty much over

Steve in NC

3. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    My Gold Laced Wyandotte had it today. She's 4 days old. Took a while to soak it off. I read that even the adults of this breed have a problem with it because their butts are so fluffy. Thankfully it wasn't that hard to deal with, though she kicked and squirmed and cheeped a lot while I was soaking it off her. I hope it will only be a few weeks as SandsPoultry suggests.

4. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Jar,

I havent had a problem with it at all and I have 23 black stars and 2 unk. I was concerned about it because i read that it was a problem in baby chix too, but none of mine developed a problem at all! The worst of their probs was developing poop on their feet but I fixed that today with new brooder installation pics to follow.

Ryan

5. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Just to be safe I am still checking, but they are still clean [​IMG]

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'd say keep checking now and then, but it sounds like you're probably OK.

7. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Glad I am still checking. 1 of our EEs had what I would call a significant build up of dry poo. It was building up on both the top and bottom of her cloaca, we will call it a stalagtite and a stalagmite. It had not cemented together to close off the opening so she was still able to evacuate, which she did on my hand when I was looking at her booty. She protested while I was holding a wet wash cloth on her, but the little pooper would sit all nice and quiet when I submerged her rear in warm water. End result is a clean butt and a chick that did not want to "leave me" at the end of the ordeal to get back in the brooder. Guess this brought us closer together [​IMG]

8. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Quote:The END result![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by