Pasting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Badhbh, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Ok so what causes pasty butt? I've got two chicks that i've had to clean up twice now, and i'm wondering if i'm doing something worong.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've always been told these can be causes...cedar shavings as bedding, I always put mine on paper towels for the first week, then add pine or wood shavings...not enough water to drink and feeding them as day olds too soon....a chick can live up to 3 days on their yolk sac after hatching....my opinion

You can wash their bums with warm soapy water and rinse...use olive oil on the bums and wipe or use scissors to trim the poo off....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  3. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Ok. They have constant access to water, and were on towels for a week [​IMG] I guess I just have messy birds. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I was really doing wrong. I've cleaned them off so far by putting their heineys on a warm washcloth, and picking it off as it softens. It's funny to watch them doze off as their butts get warm. [​IMG]

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My personal experience (which is by no means as extensive as others here) is that my silkie chicks had pasty butt much more than my standards.

Also it seems to be the same chicks that are prone to it - once he's had a pasty butt you have to keep a close eye on that same one to get it again.

I think with the silkies it's the quality of the fuzz that seems to trap the poo better...

Good luck with the babies...aren't they fun??!!??

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your a tried and true chicken person when you become knowledgable in chicken hiney cleaning...lol [​IMG]

6. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Oh, yeah, my house mate thinks i'm insane. Washing shicken butts, then giving them a little kiss on the head before they go back in the brooder.
    There's only one silkie that has problems, and it's one of the partridges. The other is a Porcelain D'Uccle. The one last night that I had to clean was one of the Buffs.
    I now have a butt cleaning bowl. It's wrong.
    [​IMG]

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Pasting of the rears is usually caused by the stress of shipping. Broody hens that hatch their own eggs don't have chicks with pasty rears because no shipping is involved. The closer the hatchery the better to avoid the stress of shipping. It can be from the stress of the heat lamp providing to much heat. If the chicks are constantly peeping and panting then it's prolly to warm and raising the lamp is necessary. Good Luck.

bigzio

8. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    They peep constantly, but they don't seem to be too warm. They sleep in a chicky pile all stretched out. They're moving around the brooder well. They're about 2 weeks old now, and the temp is just a little over 80. I thought if anything, they'd be cold, but they're fine.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by