1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Pasting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hambone, May 13, 2010.

1. Hambone

Hambone Songster

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    I have some chicks with pasting. I cleaned them off but the poo is still on their feathers but their vents are clear.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    warm water on a paper towel usually helps loosen up the poo. as long as they can poop they should be ok, and the other birds don't start picking at the poo that is stuck to their behinds!

3. Hambone

Hambone Songster

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    I'm new to this. I should of checked them when I brought them home yesterday. I didn't think about it. I did just now clear their vents. There were about five of sixteen that had it. Should this stop in a few days?

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    stress sometimes causes it I usually dip their butts in a bowl of warm water and gently remove all the poop. Then I separate them until they dry. Try putting some baby grit in with their food I find that helps. Dont feel bad it can be easily missed I found another one of mine yesterday. and they are 1 week old today.

5. Hambone

Hambone Songster

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    Quote:Thank you. I will try that.

6. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It can develop fast, too. One of mine had it last week. She was fine in the afternoon, but was pasted up badly by around 11 a.m. the next morning. So now I check everyone's butt twice a day.

7. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Seems like the pattern for this pasting (according to the posts I've read so far) is either because of a draft, too hot, stress or poor diet.
    Is there anyone who knows exactly what causes it? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2010

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:I think it has something to do with eating too much food and not enough water. try putting sugar in the water, just a teaspoon, it sweetens the water and gives them a boost to help stress. I think it makes them drink more water because it is sweet also. Just like a person! if we don't drink enough water we get constipated!

9. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Songster

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Put sugar in the water??
    I thought sugar is hard to digest for chicks... No???

10. fastpat

fastpat Songster

Quote:I put sugar in my chicks water along with a balanced vitamin and electrolyte mixture for the first several days, then discontinued it. I put the vitamin mixture in for the first two weeks, then discontinued that too.

I had butt pasting for up to two weeks, four or five birds out of all of them, then it stopped and has not reoccurred. It seems to be related to how forceful the chick can eject the waste, how solid the waste is, unique characteristics of each bird, and so forth. At almost seven weeks my chicks fecal matter varies all the time, from loose to very solid stools.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by