Pasting

Farm Girl 101

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 17, 2010
My Light Brahama chicks are pasting, and I'm worried that I've just traumatized them! I didn't realize it was even an issue until today when my hubby and I saw a few with quite a bit of "build up" around their vent areas. We tried wet paper towels, but couldn't make the clumps soften, so we used mineral oil. I dried the chicks as well as I could, but I'm worried that they're going to be cold with their damp, oily little backsides. Will they die from having oily backsides??

I think as long as they have heat they will be okay we had to do this with a bunch of our chicks too and they are all doing well. On another posting in the disease section they talk about feeding yogurt mixed with their food and it will get rid of pasty butt also you can feed them ground up oatmeal or bran and that will help as well.

Hope this helps,

Lily

They won't die from that. You do need to keep 'em warm though, as long as they cannot fluff up their bum feathers.

I actually held chicks under warm, running water from the faucet to clean poo from their vents when some had pasty butt. Then I towel-dried 'em, and put them back into the brooder. They generally only suffer from pasty butt in the first two weeks, when it's pretty warm in the brooder.

You MIGHT lower the temperature a bit or allow them a cooler area in which to move... sometimes high temps are a contributing factor to pasty butt. Also take 'em off any sugar water if you've got them drinking that.

Back
Top Bottom