Pastor Beaten And Tased By Arizona Border Patrol

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pdsavage, Apr 18, 2009.

1. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    http://cbs13.com/local/Pastor.Beaten.And.2.987065.html

It
    should be noted that in 1976, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of Federal checkpoints near border areas to enforce laws prohibiting illegal immigration. This U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint along Interstate 8 is in compliance with federal law.*

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I can see if you are crossing the border how the "warrant" might not be a legal right - if he was not crossing the border in any direction, then he is still in America - and therefore, the laws for unlawful search would apply, I would think.

If a drug dog (or whatever trained dog it was) made actions to indicate he was carrying illegal substances, then the warrant is not necesary, either - I believe that they can legally search without one.

The violent reaction might have been justified or might not have been - hard to say with the information presented.

I do believe, however, with all the problems down there by the border that everyone is probably "on edge" and perhaps over-reacted.

meri

3. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    As usual we have limited info. On the face of things it sounds like the officers over reacted. The pastor could be exaggerating the level of brutality, but 11 stitches is quite excessive for an arrest. We weren't there so we don't know what happened. Has anyone seen the video? Is this guy a gorilla or just a regular guy? Tensions are tight down there with the drug wars. I never mess with cops. Hands where they can see them, yes sir, full cooperation. I never have anything in my car that's illegal so I don't care if they search. If I haven't done anything to make them po'd I don't feel like there's anything to worry about. That sounds submissive but it's been my experience that most cops are type A and they have the gun. So I bury the pride and stay out of jail and above ground.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, unfortunately that pastor was wrong about them needing a warrent to search. If a dog alerted the car, that gives them cause to be able to search without one. I am sure there were mistakes made on both ends as far as resisting and/or too much force.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Well i don't know who is right or wrong I was just shocked that border patrol could do so much and not be on the border..
    I mean having checkpoint along Interstate 8 is in compliance with federal law....where does it stop??????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by