Pasture raising poultry on raw land

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hellowalls, Dec 6, 2013.

1. hellowalls

hellowalls New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Hey everyone! Newbie here. I live in TN and work as a whole animal butcher. I am buying a plot of land and was thinking about raising ducks and pheasant for the butcher shop and some restaurants. I wa wondering if anyone has experience raising on raw land or property away from the homestead. I have a few questions/concerns and was hoping some experts might weigh in:

Is it doable?
    Is it possible?
    Has anyone had success?
    Would I have to be out at the property everyday?
    Could I use trailers as a successful method?
    What are your general opinions on this?

Thanks for your time guys and gals and enjoy your Friday/weekend!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I think it is probably doable but - I wouldn't personally want to do it as I would spend the whole time worrying about predators and water freezing in winter and lack of shade in summer, etc. Mine do have the ability to range quite a few acres - and they make good use of it and graze a lot - but I like having them close enough I can see them and run down and check on them several times throughout the day.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x2 on the above advice, good luck to you.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might try posting on the pheasant and duck boards about tractor raising them etc. Would you have access to any utilities, water, electric? I know people on BYC have mentioned having animals on other properties, or keeping them somewhere else etc before they move for awhile. When you think about it, a lot of us are gone 10-12 hours a day if we work away from home, if you check them once a day or so it is not ideal, but not that much different. Depending on the area, I would also worry about human thieves.

5. hellowalls

hellowalls New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Awesome everybody thanks for the help!!!

6. texgardengal

texgardengal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    I had a friend who had ducks on a property she owned. It has a pond so water was not an issue and she used a feeder like hunters use to bait a spot by a deer blind. It drops corn or feed of some kind every day. I would think it would work the same way as long as you provided some sort of shelter?? Worked for her...

7. hellowalls

hellowalls New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Texgardengal:

What kind of structure where the ducks in...or where they just frnced

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]Happy you joined us! And Merry Christmas!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Feeding and watering systems could be arranged, but I would be concerned with predation from both animals and humans on an unattended property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by