Pasture seeding and my girls

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LiLChicken, Oct 1, 2012.

1. LiLChicken

LiLChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    I-Da-Ho
    I have 8 6-7 month old Rhode Island Reds that free range and I am going to be planting pasture grass in two weeks and the pasture will be for both my 8 layers and 100 meat birds next spring also a miniature jersey dairy cow and I have two questions.

1 - Will my girls eat all the grass seeds ?

2 - What is the best type of grass for chickens ?

Thanks LiL-C

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes they will eat the grass seeds. Make SURE that you get UNTREATED grass seed. I have accidently bought the innoculated seed and had to put it around the house instead of in the run, as it is sprayed with poison.

I don't pay much attention to what kind of grass seed I buy other than that caveat.

However, clover is LOVED by chickens. Gotta get non-innoculated seed though if they will have access. I have planted clover seed before but I believe I had to keep them off it since it was innoculated.

3. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I would plant the type of grass that is best for your region, then just keep the chickens off of it until it comes in good. If they have plenty of space they won't totally destroy it. If there is not a lot of space, you might try rotating them so the grass can recover in one area while they are eating at another spot. At the end of the season, keep the chickens off of it and let the grass grow long enough to seed out and it will replant itself for the next growing season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by